Sports Briefs

Football

2007 schedule released

The release of Miami’s 2007 football schedule reveals that Miami has anything but a cakewalk next season. The Hurricanes, who will have one of the nation’s tougher schedules, will play 12 games. Of the 12 games, the team has seven home games and six games against teams that were part of last season’s bowl schedule.

Unlike what fans are used to seeing, the Hurricanes will open the season against Marshall, instead of Florida State. The Hurricanes will play their first four games against non-conference teams, before opening up conference play. The non-conference schedule includes a trip to Oklahoma to play the Sooners and a home game against Texas A&M.

When Miami does open its eight game conference run, they will be faced with the reality of having to play Florida State, Virginia Tech and Boston College on the road.

Women’s Swimming and Diving

Hurricane women defeat Florida International

The Hurricanes’ women’s first home swimming and diving meet of the dual season proved to be a major success.

The competition saw freshman Kelly Peloguin come away with three first place finishes and sophomore Britta Boesing and senior Tara Erwin come away with two first place finishes each. Additionally, junior Jenna Dreyer led the Hurricanes in the one-meter and three-meter diving competitions.

Miami swept Florida International 156-60, advancing them to 3-4 on the season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...