‘Spring Awakening’ not original, but at least arousing

While “Rent” is often considered the definitive rock musical-and it is certainly the most successful-others have tried to follow in the hopes of widening the appeal of Broadway to a different audience.

“Spring Awakening’s” catchy soundtrack by Steven Sater (book and lyrics) and Duncan Sheik (music), is undoubtedly moving and certainly melodious, but doesn’t provide much more musical innovation than that of some of its predecessors. The orchestral and rock sounds alternate in a blend that works well, nicely complementing the lyrics.

Based on “The Awakening of Spring,” a drama penned by German playwright Frank Wedekind in 1891, the musical succeeds in relating the themes of rebellion and curiosity by teenagers in repressive social and emotional setting. Love and loss are also skillfully transmitted through the songs.

“Mama Who Bore Me” and its reprise poignantly open the musical, with a mix of acoustic guitar and violin. Such musical accompaniment is also present in the similarly touching “Left Behind.” Notable use of the acoustic guitar is also present in “I Believe,” an uplifting number, in the vein of “Seasons of Love” dealing with forgiveness and love.

Its more upbeat, rock-influenced tracks are powerful displays of youthful energy and dissatisfaction with the status quo. This is apparent in the stand-out song, “The Bitch of Living,” and others such as “My Junk,” “And Then Were None” and “Totally F**ked.”

Besides the powerful rock-infused numbers, more vocally-oriented strong songs also shine. The force of “Whispering” and “Those You’ve Known” draw the listener in and “The Song of Purple Summer” provides for an uplifting finale.

Overall, though it is somewhat thematically different from past rock musicals, “Spring Awakening” is definitely worth a listen.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...