Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis

Team cruises to victory

The No. 11 University of Miami men’s tennis team cruised to victory last Sunday, as they were able to virtually unravel the University of North Florida squad.

The team went 5-1 in singles competition, with Luigi D’Agord, Josh Cohen, Daniel Vallverdu, Hector Nieto and Barnabas Carrega picking up victories. Additionally, all three Hurricanes’ doubles teams were more than a match for the three North Florida doubles teams, which allowed the ‘Canes to sweep the doubles compeition.

The 6-1 victory, to kick off Miami’s dual season, starts Miami at 1-0 for the season.

Women’s Track

‘Canes place 2nd at Clemson Invitational

The Hurricane women’s track and field team finished second overall at the Clemson Invitational. The team earned an overall 93 points, while North Carolina placed first with 124 points.

On their way to a second place finish, the Hurricanes were able to pick up five first-place finishes over the two days of competition. First-place finishes were earned by sophomore Ena Leufroy in the 800-meters, freshman Ashley Dukes in the 60-meters, sophomore Viktoria Andonova in the high jump, senior Amy Seward in the long jump and the group of Leufroy, seniors Danielle Bailey and Ginou Etienne, and sophomore Krista Simkins in the 4X400.

Women’s Basketball

Meier cuts Denson

Women’s basketball Head Coach Katie Meier has granted sophomore center Brittany Denson a release from the team. The release allows Denson to pursue a transfer from the University of Miami.

After having her freshman season cut short due to a torn ACL, Denson has started 16 of 17 games this season, averaging 8.4 points and 6.9 rebounds per game.

“We wish Brittany the best in her basketball future,” Meier said. “I believe the team will make the proper adjustments and positively move forward.”

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...