Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis

Team cruises to victory

The No. 11 University of Miami men’s tennis team cruised to victory last Sunday, as they were able to virtually unravel the University of North Florida squad.

The team went 5-1 in singles competition, with Luigi D’Agord, Josh Cohen, Daniel Vallverdu, Hector Nieto and Barnabas Carrega picking up victories. Additionally, all three Hurricanes’ doubles teams were more than a match for the three North Florida doubles teams, which allowed the ‘Canes to sweep the doubles compeition.

The 6-1 victory, to kick off Miami’s dual season, starts Miami at 1-0 for the season.

Women’s Track

‘Canes place 2nd at Clemson Invitational

The Hurricane women’s track and field team finished second overall at the Clemson Invitational. The team earned an overall 93 points, while North Carolina placed first with 124 points.

On their way to a second place finish, the Hurricanes were able to pick up five first-place finishes over the two days of competition. First-place finishes were earned by sophomore Ena Leufroy in the 800-meters, freshman Ashley Dukes in the 60-meters, sophomore Viktoria Andonova in the high jump, senior Amy Seward in the long jump and the group of Leufroy, seniors Danielle Bailey and Ginou Etienne, and sophomore Krista Simkins in the 4X400.

Women’s Basketball

Meier cuts Denson

Women’s basketball Head Coach Katie Meier has granted sophomore center Brittany Denson a release from the team. The release allows Denson to pursue a transfer from the University of Miami.

After having her freshman season cut short due to a torn ACL, Denson has started 16 of 17 games this season, averaging 8.4 points and 6.9 rebounds per game.

“We wish Brittany the best in her basketball future,” Meier said. “I believe the team will make the proper adjustments and positively move forward.”

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...