Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis

Team cruises to victory

The No. 11 University of Miami men’s tennis team cruised to victory last Sunday, as they were able to virtually unravel the University of North Florida squad.

The team went 5-1 in singles competition, with Luigi D’Agord, Josh Cohen, Daniel Vallverdu, Hector Nieto and Barnabas Carrega picking up victories. Additionally, all three Hurricanes’ doubles teams were more than a match for the three North Florida doubles teams, which allowed the ‘Canes to sweep the doubles compeition.

The 6-1 victory, to kick off Miami’s dual season, starts Miami at 1-0 for the season.

Women’s Track

‘Canes place 2nd at Clemson Invitational

The Hurricane women’s track and field team finished second overall at the Clemson Invitational. The team earned an overall 93 points, while North Carolina placed first with 124 points.

On their way to a second place finish, the Hurricanes were able to pick up five first-place finishes over the two days of competition. First-place finishes were earned by sophomore Ena Leufroy in the 800-meters, freshman Ashley Dukes in the 60-meters, sophomore Viktoria Andonova in the high jump, senior Amy Seward in the long jump and the group of Leufroy, seniors Danielle Bailey and Ginou Etienne, and sophomore Krista Simkins in the 4X400.

Women’s Basketball

Meier cuts Denson

Women’s basketball Head Coach Katie Meier has granted sophomore center Brittany Denson a release from the team. The release allows Denson to pursue a transfer from the University of Miami.

After having her freshman season cut short due to a torn ACL, Denson has started 16 of 17 games this season, averaging 8.4 points and 6.9 rebounds per game.

“We wish Brittany the best in her basketball future,” Meier said. “I believe the team will make the proper adjustments and positively move forward.”

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com.

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

Hurricanes standouts Mykea Gray and Beatrice Mompremier have the opportunity of a lifetime this week ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba, the reigning NCAA singles champion, opens the 2019-20 season ranked second i ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...

The Hurricanes opened their five-game homestand on Saturday with a big win over Bethune-Cookman and, ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was named ACC Rookie of the Week a ...