News Briefs

UMNews

University raises more than $1 million in United Way campaign

The University of Miami’s fundraising effort for the United Way has surpassed the $1 million mark, the most they have ever raised for the campaign. The institution-wide fundraising drive included events such as book and bake sales, auctions and pledges made by faculty and staff.

The total of $1,047,872 is also one of the largest university or college United Way campaigns in the nation.

“This is a phenomenal amount of money, and everyone should be very proud of this incredible achievement,” President Donna E. Shalala said in a press release. “We make the United Way a top priority, and our employees and students always come through.”

Contributions to the campaign stemmed from many sources. The university’s one percent donors, or those who donate one percent or more of their annual income to the United Way, accounted for $450,000 of the campaign total.

UM students also played a role in the campaign’s success, raising $10,000 during the annual Orange Bowl collection as well as volunteering at various United Way agencies.

ELSEWhere

Harvard study suggests cigarette makers increased nicotine

Hayley Sher // The Daily Free Press (Boston U.)

(U-WIRE) BOSTON – A study released last week by the Harvard School of Public Health suggests cigarette companies have intentionally increased nicotine levels in their cigarettes over the past seven years while trying to keep that information from public knowledge.

The study, based on data submitted to the Massachusetts Public Health Department by major cigarette manufacturers, showed an 11 percent increase of nicotine levels in every market category of cigarettes-from menthols to ultra-lights-over the past seven years.

A bill currently before Congress aimed at regulating tobacco products under stricter FDA guidelines “could be the single-most important first step to safeguard the public,” he said.

Patrick Reynolds, president of Foundation For a Smoke-Free America, said the study provides greater motivation for the FDA to intervene in the tobacco industry.

“It’s in the interest of the tobacco industry to keep its customers buying its product,” he said, explaining the necessity for stricter government regulation.

Tobacco company Philip Morris, which is challenging the study’s findings, maintains the nicotine levels for Marlboro cigarettes was the same in 2006 as it was in 1997.

Spokesmen for the company, citing company policy, could not comment on the study beyond the company’s posting.

ETC.

All students with at least 60 credit hours may order their official UM class ring between Jan. 29 and Feb. 2 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the UC Breezeway.

Applications to become a School of Business Peer Counselor or Team Leader are now available. The application is due by Feb. 7 in Merrick 104, where applicants should also sign up for an interview.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...