Lectures, panel discussions to discuss “green” architecture

In accordance with the University of Miami’s goal to be more environmentally-friendly, the Center for Urban and Community Design (CUCD) is hosting a green building symposium.

Organizers say that this will help explain everything from green building techniques and practices to vernacular architecture and susbstainable urbanism.

The event, “Under the Sun: Sustainable Innovations + Traditions,” will take place until Jan. 27 and is organized as a series of lectures and panel discussions. Professionals, academics, government leaders and students with an interest in green building have the opportunity to interact with one another during the event.

Topics include conservation and development; design and policy; sustainable urban design; and law and policy.

Registration is $375 per person attendees have the opportunity to receive 15 continuing education credits for this conference. The event is opened to UM students for a fee of 25 dollars.

All events are taking place in Glasgow Hall at the Jorge M. Perez Architecture Center.

Sonia Chao, the symposium chairperson, said that, after being named director of CUCD, she noticed there were a couple of things that were missing.

“I wanted to add a component that would complement our mission to maintain a sustainable community,” she said.

Chao said becoming green is now the way to go.

“There is no excuse for not being green, for not being responsible,” she said.

Among other things, Chao said the purpose of the event is to reach out to the international community.

“We will continue to work with different neighborhoods in our outreach program,” Chao said, referring to the different projects she has in mind.

Nicholas Moses, a senior, said the issue of sustainability is not greatly appreciated by most UM professors.

“[Professors] seem to lose sight of the environment and do not seem to respect the traditions,” he said. “I can only imagine how the new green buildings are going to look.”

Denis Hector, professor and associate dean of the School of Architecture, said this project is one of the most significant ones to be put to practice.

“Here we are teaching architects on how to conceptualize sustainability,” he said.

“It is a whole approach to design.”

In terms of aesthetics, Hector said that although the concept is important to keep in mind, it should not play a major role when constructing the buildings.

“You don’t have to look green to be sustainable,” Hector said.

Some architecture students such as Silvia Urbina, a fifth-year senior, and Rebekah Fried, senior, think this is a good idea.

“I think it is great because it helps the environment,” Urbina said.

Fried said one way to determine the benefits of going green is by looking at ancient architecture and its benefits.

“Right now we are having all sorts of energy crises,” she said. “We need to return to environmentally conscious designs.”

Fanny Olmo may be contacted at f.olmo@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...