Pussycat Dolls should watch more TV

Any avid watcher of “Sex in the City” knows what I’m talking about when I say, “He’s just not that into you.” From that episode, a near pop cultural phenomenon has sprung – such as books, episodes of “Oprah” and the phrase’s mastermind, Greg Behrendt, getting his own talk show. When I listen to the radio, I often think that the Pussycat Dolls should pay Mr. Behrendt a visit, and I will explain why.

Even though it’s only six words long, the phrase, “He’s just not that into you,” has revolutionized the way women, and possibly men, approach rejection in relationships. In reality, it is a very unclear and arbitrary explanation, but it makes moving on from someone who is not reciprocating much easier. Gone are the days of, “What’s wrong with me?” We can now embrace the idea that it is not a personal slight so much as it is an issue with incompatibility. I cannot accept that there is something inherently wrong with me. However, I can accept that he’s just not that into me.

This brings me to my next point. Haven’t the Pussycat Dolls ever heard of this? In their song “Buttons,” the lead singer talks about a guy not putting the moves on her when she is inviting it. She straight tells the guy to take her shirt off. In my opinion, if a guy is interested, a woman needs not sing a song to persuade him to get her naked. With lines like, “You say all the right things all night long/But I can’t seem to get you over here to help take this off,” someone needs to line these ladies up and slap them all in the face while screaming, “He’s just not that into you!”

Some might argue that there is an intimidation factor involved. I would counter this point by saying that the lead singer makes it painfully clear that rejection is not an option. The lyrics make me wonder if I should be embarrassed for her because she is so blatantly putting herself out there or if I should be jealous because she has the balls to. I also wonder if I could get a discount on the book by buying it in bulk to send each individual member of the band a copy.

Perhaps you are thinking that I am a mere hater, considering the Pussycat Dolls are all impossibly beautiful and maybe on some level believing that a guy might not be interested in them helps me cope with my own feelings of inadequacy. You would be wrong. I am simply a firm believer in the idea that he is just not that into you no matter the circumstances, including but not limited to impossible beauty, if he fails to respond to advances. So remember, if you have to tell him to “loosen up your buttons,” move on because if he was that into you, your clothes would have looked much better on the bedroom floor.

Alicia Montalvo is a graduate student concentrating in sports medicine. She may be contacted at a.montalvo@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...