Pearson resident charged with sexual battery

12:00 A.M. THURSDAY, JAN. 25 — Police arrested a 20-year-old University of Miami student in connection with last Wednesday’s sexual battery at Pearson Residential College, said Sgt. Michael Frevola of the Coral Gables Police Department.

Michael “Mike” Anthony Anderson, a Junior and resident of Pearson, was charged Tuesday with one count of sexual battery and one count of burglary with assault or battery. Both are felonies.

Anderson is being held without bond, according to the Coral Gables Gazette. His arraignment is scheduled for Feb. 13.

According to the initial University of Miami police crime alert sent out via e-mail Friday, a male entered a dorm room in Pearson sometime between 5 and 6 a.m., sexually fondled the victim and took some personal items belonging to the victim.

A copy of the police report, obtained by The Miami Hurricane from The Miami Herald filled in the other details: Anderson knowingly entered the victim’s room without her consent via a closed door that was unlocked, committed the battery, and left the room when the victim began to awake.

It continues to say that he was voluntarily transported to CGPD headquarters for questioning, where he subsequently made a taped statement, admitting to the crimes alleged.

Anderson, who was born in San Antonio, Texas, and the victim were acquaintances, but not friends, according to The Herald.

A call to Anderson’s cell phone shortly after 5 p.m. on Wednesday went straight to his voicemail.

Lt. Bill Gerlach of the UM Police Department said that CGPD detectives, in conducting the investigation, were assisted by tips submitted in response to the e-mail crime alert, which he said helped expedite the investigation.

Gerlach noted that, with the arrest, students could not only be relieved that the perpetrator is in custody, but also that he was not an intruder. Notwithstanding, he added that UMPD will remain vigilant.

Ricardo Hall, UM’s dean of students, said that that the administration was informed by the UMPD that an arrest would be made.

“The student will follow the judicial procedures outlined in the [Student Rights and Responsibilities] handbook,” Hall said. Regarding the police, he added, “I think it’s obvious that, by the quick response, they were on the job.”

According to his Facebook profile, Anderson is studying music and pre-medicine. It also says that he is a member of the badminton and chemistry clubs.

Alan Rizer, a senior and friend of Anderson, said he knew Anderson was a suspect because Anderson knew the victim, but did not expect him to be arrested.

“It’s not in his character to do something like this,” Rizer said. “[He is] not mean-spirited in any way.”

Andrew Schlotterlein contributed to this report.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricane originally posted this story at 5:44 p.m. on Jan. 24.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...