Pearson resident charged with sexual battery

12:00 A.M. THURSDAY, JAN. 25 — Police arrested a 20-year-old University of Miami student in connection with last Wednesday’s sexual battery at Pearson Residential College, said Sgt. Michael Frevola of the Coral Gables Police Department.

Michael “Mike” Anthony Anderson, a Junior and resident of Pearson, was charged Tuesday with one count of sexual battery and one count of burglary with assault or battery. Both are felonies.

Anderson is being held without bond, according to the Coral Gables Gazette. His arraignment is scheduled for Feb. 13.

According to the initial University of Miami police crime alert sent out via e-mail Friday, a male entered a dorm room in Pearson sometime between 5 and 6 a.m., sexually fondled the victim and took some personal items belonging to the victim.

A copy of the police report, obtained by The Miami Hurricane from The Miami Herald filled in the other details: Anderson knowingly entered the victim’s room without her consent via a closed door that was unlocked, committed the battery, and left the room when the victim began to awake.

It continues to say that he was voluntarily transported to CGPD headquarters for questioning, where he subsequently made a taped statement, admitting to the crimes alleged.

Anderson, who was born in San Antonio, Texas, and the victim were acquaintances, but not friends, according to The Herald.

A call to Anderson’s cell phone shortly after 5 p.m. on Wednesday went straight to his voicemail.

Lt. Bill Gerlach of the UM Police Department said that CGPD detectives, in conducting the investigation, were assisted by tips submitted in response to the e-mail crime alert, which he said helped expedite the investigation.

Gerlach noted that, with the arrest, students could not only be relieved that the perpetrator is in custody, but also that he was not an intruder. Notwithstanding, he added that UMPD will remain vigilant.

Ricardo Hall, UM’s dean of students, said that that the administration was informed by the UMPD that an arrest would be made.

“The student will follow the judicial procedures outlined in the [Student Rights and Responsibilities] handbook,” Hall said. Regarding the police, he added, “I think it’s obvious that, by the quick response, they were on the job.”

According to his Facebook profile, Anderson is studying music and pre-medicine. It also says that he is a member of the badminton and chemistry clubs.

Alan Rizer, a senior and friend of Anderson, said he knew Anderson was a suspect because Anderson knew the victim, but did not expect him to be arrested.

“It’s not in his character to do something like this,” Rizer said. “[He is] not mean-spirited in any way.”

Andrew Schlotterlein contributed to this report.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricane originally posted this story at 5:44 p.m. on Jan. 24.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...