Pearson resident charged with sexual battery

12:00 A.M. THURSDAY, JAN. 25 — Police arrested a 20-year-old University of Miami student in connection with last Wednesday’s sexual battery at Pearson Residential College, said Sgt. Michael Frevola of the Coral Gables Police Department.

Michael “Mike” Anthony Anderson, a Junior and resident of Pearson, was charged Tuesday with one count of sexual battery and one count of burglary with assault or battery. Both are felonies.

Anderson is being held without bond, according to the Coral Gables Gazette. His arraignment is scheduled for Feb. 13.

According to the initial University of Miami police crime alert sent out via e-mail Friday, a male entered a dorm room in Pearson sometime between 5 and 6 a.m., sexually fondled the victim and took some personal items belonging to the victim.

A copy of the police report, obtained by The Miami Hurricane from The Miami Herald filled in the other details: Anderson knowingly entered the victim’s room without her consent via a closed door that was unlocked, committed the battery, and left the room when the victim began to awake.

It continues to say that he was voluntarily transported to CGPD headquarters for questioning, where he subsequently made a taped statement, admitting to the crimes alleged.

Anderson, who was born in San Antonio, Texas, and the victim were acquaintances, but not friends, according to The Herald.

A call to Anderson’s cell phone shortly after 5 p.m. on Wednesday went straight to his voicemail.

Lt. Bill Gerlach of the UM Police Department said that CGPD detectives, in conducting the investigation, were assisted by tips submitted in response to the e-mail crime alert, which he said helped expedite the investigation.

Gerlach noted that, with the arrest, students could not only be relieved that the perpetrator is in custody, but also that he was not an intruder. Notwithstanding, he added that UMPD will remain vigilant.

Ricardo Hall, UM’s dean of students, said that that the administration was informed by the UMPD that an arrest would be made.

“The student will follow the judicial procedures outlined in the [Student Rights and Responsibilities] handbook,” Hall said. Regarding the police, he added, “I think it’s obvious that, by the quick response, they were on the job.”

According to his Facebook profile, Anderson is studying music and pre-medicine. It also says that he is a member of the badminton and chemistry clubs.

Alan Rizer, a senior and friend of Anderson, said he knew Anderson was a suspect because Anderson knew the victim, but did not expect him to be arrested.

“It’s not in his character to do something like this,” Rizer said. “[He is] not mean-spirited in any way.”

Andrew Schlotterlein contributed to this report.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricane originally posted this story at 5:44 p.m. on Jan. 24.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...