News Briefs

UMNews

UM implements new emergency response system

The University of Miami has solved the reliability issue surrounding 911 emergency calls made from college campuses by upgrading to the Enhanced 911, or E911, system. UM is one of the first corporations in Miami-Dade County to use this new service.

The E911 telephone system allows emergency dispatchers to track the specific location where help is needed. Operators will be alerted as to the exact location of emergency calls placed from any of the university’s campuses and office buildings.

With over 30,000 phone numbers on four campuses, UM possesses the largest phone system in the county.

The Telecommunications Department worked closely with the City of Coral Gables, the City of Miami and Miami-Dade County to implement the system.

Also included was UM’s Department of Public Safety, which automatically receives alerts when emergency calls are made from a campus phone.

ELSEWhere

MTV Networks purchases popular professor-rating Web site

Stephanie Kassab // Cavalier Daily (U. Virginia)

(U-WIRE) CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – MTV Networks, home of mtvU, VH1 and other popular networks, has recently purchased ratem yprofessors.com. The Web site was specifically purchased by mtvU. The site, used by over nine million college students, including many at the University of Virginia, allows users to rate over one million professors in more than 6,000 schools across the nation.

“We have been hearing about this site a long time and thought it was a smart, organic site that was a useful tool for students,” mtvU head Stephen Friedman said.

MtvU reaches over 750 college campuses nationwide and is a 24-hour college network designed for the college demographic.

Ratemyprofessors.com is a site where students rate their professors on clarity, easiness, helpfulness and interest with the option of weighing on the “hotness” factor.

Although the site will not undergo any major changes, new features might be added to make it more user-friendly, according to Friedman. Students may soon have the option of rating dining halls and dormitories.

This is not mtvU’s first partnership with a college-related Website. Recently, the network created a partnership with Y2M, Youth Media & Marketing Networks. Y2M is the owner of College Publishers, a network consisting of 450 college newspapers.

ETC.

Student Government is looking for computer-savvy students to join their Technology Commission. For more information or to apply, contact SGWebmaster@miami.edu.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...