News Briefs

UMNews

UM implements new emergency response system

The University of Miami has solved the reliability issue surrounding 911 emergency calls made from college campuses by upgrading to the Enhanced 911, or E911, system. UM is one of the first corporations in Miami-Dade County to use this new service.

The E911 telephone system allows emergency dispatchers to track the specific location where help is needed. Operators will be alerted as to the exact location of emergency calls placed from any of the university’s campuses and office buildings.

With over 30,000 phone numbers on four campuses, UM possesses the largest phone system in the county.

The Telecommunications Department worked closely with the City of Coral Gables, the City of Miami and Miami-Dade County to implement the system.

Also included was UM’s Department of Public Safety, which automatically receives alerts when emergency calls are made from a campus phone.

ELSEWhere

MTV Networks purchases popular professor-rating Web site

Stephanie Kassab // Cavalier Daily (U. Virginia)

(U-WIRE) CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – MTV Networks, home of mtvU, VH1 and other popular networks, has recently purchased ratem yprofessors.com. The Web site was specifically purchased by mtvU. The site, used by over nine million college students, including many at the University of Virginia, allows users to rate over one million professors in more than 6,000 schools across the nation.

“We have been hearing about this site a long time and thought it was a smart, organic site that was a useful tool for students,” mtvU head Stephen Friedman said.

MtvU reaches over 750 college campuses nationwide and is a 24-hour college network designed for the college demographic.

Ratemyprofessors.com is a site where students rate their professors on clarity, easiness, helpfulness and interest with the option of weighing on the “hotness” factor.

Although the site will not undergo any major changes, new features might be added to make it more user-friendly, according to Friedman. Students may soon have the option of rating dining halls and dormitories.

This is not mtvU’s first partnership with a college-related Website. Recently, the network created a partnership with Y2M, Youth Media & Marketing Networks. Y2M is the owner of College Publishers, a network consisting of 450 college newspapers.

ETC.

Student Government is looking for computer-savvy students to join their Technology Commission. For more information or to apply, contact SGWebmaster@miami.edu.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...