Culture

EXTRA: BUCKETS OF BLOOD READIED FOR AMAZON SWIM RECORD ATTEMPT

Slovenian Martin Strel plans to swim 3,375 miles down the world’s greatest river, defying piranhas, snakes, crocodiles and even sharks.

Buckets of animal blood will be loaded onto support boats to distract flesh-eating fish and reptiles during the 52-year-old’s 70-day odyssey — which would break his own world length record for a swim.

Strel starts on February 1 in Peru’s jungle town of Atalaya and hopes to finish on Brazil’s Atlantic coast on April 11.

Towards the end of his journey “for world peace and environment,” Strel will face another challenge — a tidal bore, or wave, about 13 feet high, known as the Pororoca.

This journey down the world’s most voluminous river will be nearly 1,500 km (930 miles) longer than the Yangtze swim — his current world record set in 2004.

The feat will be broadcast live over the Internet (www.amazonswim.com)

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...