Don’t stop fighting for real change

The tides of discontent and anger in this country have washed away a Republican House, a Republican Senate, and will soon bring the demise of a Republican White House. From the dark days in Iraqi deserts to the hungry nights on rooftops in New Orleans, a small break in the clouds of Washington now shines the prospect of hope upon our nation.
In the coming months, the first female and the first black Americans to have legitimate shots at the presidency will grapple for the pockets of big business and the hearts of every American.
To look at this setting without finding inspiration would be callous, but to completely lean on it for the change we desire would be extraordinarily dangerous.
Yes, without question, Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton would provide a facelift to a country in desperate need of a change. But it would be merely that: an outward change of face, without the depth of a change in heart.
A new administration and a new leader will not directly lead this country in a better direction based solely on the novelty of having a woman or black American as President.
A true change of heart in this country can come from only one place: the people. For as much as we resent the actions of our current administration, the only way to amend their pitfalls rests in the power we have to raise our voices.
Leaning on just a presidential nominee or campaign slogan to bring this country out of the shadows would prove not only futile, but dishonorable as well. It would be our shameful disgrace to the thousands of mothers, fathers, sons, and daughters who have given up a part of their lives so that we have the right to shout our cries and raise our voices.
In a powerful opinion written in dedication to Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday, Bob Herbert quoted the great man.
“Our lives begin to end,” King said, “the day we become silent about the things that matter.”
In honor of King, the victims of Katrina, our fallen soldiers, and all of those who fight for our right to change the world in which we live, stop today for just a moment, and think about the power and duty we have to fight our own battles for the ideals that drive our hearts.
The voice of America spoke in November, and the clouds have parted just enough for us to taste the hope that little light has shed. Yet to truly change this country we must always continue to protest, question, and fight for what we believe. Let Barack or Hillary feed off of our passion, and lean on our voice of change.

Corey Ciorciari is a sophomore majoring in creative writing and business management. He may be contacted at c.ciorciari@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...