Complex beats make up rap debut

Lil’ Jon’s young prodigy has finally released his major debut album. In “Bred 2 Die, Born 2 Live,” Lil’ Scrappy had the luck to score two of the biggest names in the rap-game, Lil’ Jon and 50 Cent, to executive produce his album.

Hailing from Atlanta, the 22-year-old rapper was one of the first to sign onto Lil’ Jon’s record company, BME Recordings. According to Jon, Scrappy is “one of the best up and coming threats down south.” Starting to write rhymes at the age of nine, Scrappy was said to be ahead of the game by the age of 13, having great wordplay when it came to is nouns and verbs.

There are a total of 19 tracks in “Bred 2 Die, Born 2 Live,” half of which feature guest appearances from MC’s that range from 50 Cent to Three 6 Mafia. In the album’s single, “Money In the Bank,” featuring G-Unit’s Young Buck and sporting a bass-driven beat, Scrappy boasts “50 got me/ Lil Jon got me/ I got a big-ass family/How you gon’ stop me?” Other tracks like G-S*** features a more complex beat which is a nice change from the simple and lacking bass-driven tracks which just about anyone can come up with in less than a minute.

The best song on the album is “Baby Daddy;” a mellow tune directed at all the babies’ mommas and the drama that arises in the relationship having Scrappy crow “This is for all the baby daddies.” The lyrics throughout the album aren’t too impressive, just your average 16 bars with a witty line here and there.

With some more time and knowledge that will come along his way, Scrappy’s lines should become more skillful and cunning, having them offer more serious subject topics. For now, “Bred 2 Die, Born 2 Live” should be seen as a good first draft.

Marcos Col

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...