News Briefs

UMNews

UM medical school pays $2.2M settlement

The University of Miami agreed in December to pay $2.2 million in a settlement on allegations that it overcharged Medicare patients for services given at Jackson Memorial Hospital, The Miami Herald reported in December.

Between June 1, 1995, and May 31, 1996, physicians working at UM’s teaching hospital allegedly billed the Medicare Part B Program for critical care services in situations where patients were not critically ill or when such services were not provided.

These allegations were based on an audit investigation of 100 patient files conducted by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The department also reviewed additional claims related to care provided between 1997 through 1999. At the time the alleged overbilling occurred, Donna E. Shalala, now UM’s president, headed the department.

Claims submitted by UM failed to provide adequate documentation or were incorrectly coded.

R. Alexander Acosta, U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Florida, announced the civil settlement between the United States and UM. He also commended the efforts of the Office of Audit Services.

Throughout the investigation and settlement, the university did not admit to any wrongdoing.

ELSEWhere

Study examines link between brain, diabetes

By Tyler Duensing // Daily Nebraskan (U. Nebraska)

(U-WIRE) LINCOLN, Neb. – The University of Nebraska Medical Center continues to break ground in understanding diabetes.

A new UNMC study, published in the most recent edition of Brain Research, focused on how diabetes affects regions of the brain, specifically receptors called N-Methyl-D-aspartate. The research could help explain why diabetes has adverse effects on parts of the brain that regulate bodily functions.

The study was conducted on rats with Type 1 diabetes.

The study was the first of its kind, looking at how diabetes functions on brain receptors, said LeDon Bean, a UNMC graduate student in pharmacology and experimental neuroscience and the first author of the study.

Also discovered in the study was the potential that diabetes affects areas of the brain involved in learning and memory.

ETC.

Positions are available for the LINK Executive Board for Spring 2007. Applications are available in UC 240 and are due on Wednesday, Jan. 24.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...