Beckham deal not the blockbuster MLS is hoping for

Within minutes of the Los Angeles Galaxy’s signing of David Beckham, the team had 1,000 additional season ticket requests. Sports pundits across the country immediately began to debate the impact this will have on Major League Soccer. Although the Beckham signing is a step forward for the MLS, don’t be fooled; Beckham will not bring soccer popularity to the American masses.

The deal isn’t as big as it appears to be. Beckham will receive $250 million to play soccer for the Galaxy over the next 5 years. However; his yearly salary from the Galaxy will only be $10 million. $25 million a year will come from endorsements, which he’d get wherever he plays. The other $15 million dollars a year will come from a share of his jersey sales, and partial ownership shares in the team. If no one buys a Beckham jersey, the total will be considerably less.

At his introductory press conference, Beckham talked about how so many American youth play soccer, and how he was looking forward to broadening its mainstream appeal. Herein the lies the problem: soccer is the most popular sport among the youth of America, but Americans don’t seem to like it in any other capacity. Soccer has never been a popular sport to watch – not even Pel

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...