SG president reflects on the semester in State of U Address

Student Government President Annette Ponnock sees a bright future for the University of Miami, as she noted in her fall 2006 State of the University speech Wednesday on the UC Rock.

“Through all the ups and downs, in and outs of this semester UM is clearly on the path to greatness,” she told the crowd of roughly a dozen SG members and assorted students around the Rock. “We [were]founded on a rich tradition of excellence and this is apparent in all of our current and pending accomplishments.”

Ponnock also used the speech to announce a weekend Ibis Ride shuttle to South Beach, which will begin Feb. 3.

In addition, she pointed to a number programs SG oversaw this semester and plans to continue next semester. For instance, offering the New York Times in the dining halls and other locations on campus, continuing free Napster service to students, expanding recycling services and extending the 5-meal a week plan to the weekends after students came forward with concerns.

Student feedback similarly led to extending the hours of operation at Leo’s Deli to 10 p.m., which Ponnock said demonstrated the administration’s willingness to listen to student concerns of not having enough late-night meal choices.

She characterized University Village as the “biggest addition to campus,” and said that, despite objections to the plan from the Coral Gables residents, there have been no complaints. Acknowledging the difficulties, Ponnock said she appreciated the patience and understanding of those students still living at the Holiday Inn.

“While it has had many construction delays, the final project is a beautiful and wonderful addition to our campus,” she said. “Move-in, though frustrating for the residents, has been very successful.”

Within SG, Ponnock discussed the structural changes of the cabinet, which she said have helped improve communication among that body, the Senate committees and executive committee.

Regarding the administration’s efforts to improve the university, Ponnock mentioned that William Green, the new dean of undergraduate education, is working with Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for student affairs, to examine and overhaul the first-year experience, aimed at boosting retention rates and helping new students feel at home.

On the academic front, she also praised Provost Thomas LeBlanc, who joined the university last year, and Green for their work overall.

“[They are] two academic revolutionaries who never to cease amaze and inspire me with their vision for the university,” she said. “They have already shown such support and dedication and are true Hurricanes at heart.”

Senate

Before the address, John Constantinide, speaker of the SG Senate, spoke with The Miami Hurricane about the Senate in particular.

“I think we’ve done the best that we could with the events that have occurred and what we have been given,” he said, referring to the aftermath of the football brawl and the death of four students since the summer. In a phone interview with The Hurricane, he later said, “We had a lot of tragedies in the student population; we had a lot of obstacles with football. Whatever happened happened, but we move on.”

Ponnock also mentioned the four deaths in her remarks, asking those in attendance to participate in a moment of silence in remembrance.

On a more positive note, Constantinide addressed some of the particulars of Senate, many of which Ponnock mentioned in her speech.

“I think Senate has been wonderful,” Constantinide said. “There might have been some turnover, but despite that, those that have served have served well and have contributed a lot. I’m proud to say it has been a good year thus far for Senate.”

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...