Nephew of UM basketball coach Frank Haith shot in NY

Men’s basketball Head Coach Frank Haith learned Monday night that his nephew was shot and killed in New York.

Sean Bell was leaving his bachelor party and was scheduled to be married the next day. His 23 year life was cut short by 50 rounds of bullets shot at Bell’s car as he and two friends left a strip club in Queens, NY, according to the Associated Press.

Funeral arrangements have been made for Friday, Dec. 1.

Despite the tragic news, Haith accompanied his team to Illinois to take on Northwestern Tuesday night and will return from the funeral for the scheduled Sunday contest against Georgia Tech.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...