MENS’ BASKETBALL: ‘Canes have ‘heartbreaker’ loss against Northwestern

After dropping two in a row, the Hurricanes (4-3) followed their small skid by taking one of two, beating Lafayette and losing a heartbreaker to Northwestern, before strapping up for their first ACC game of the year against No. 24 Georgia Tech on Sunday.

Saturday against the Leopards, the Hurricanes blew through Lafayette. The game was close, for the first five minutes, but after Miami sniffed their first lead, they wasted no time extending their edge to double-digits.

The Hurricanes spent the rest of the game extending the lead they had built, which at one point featured a 36-point Miami lead. The Hurricanes finished the game with a 32-point victory, 98-66.

The Hurricanes dominated Lafayette in all facets of the game by recording better field goal and free throw percentages while having more offensive and total rebounds, more assists, less turnovers and more points.

The Hurricanes were led by guard Jack McClinton, who scored 23 points, going 7-of-11 from the field and knocking down four shots from downtown.

Forward Brian Asbury also chipped in with a career-high 19 points, four rebounds, three blocks and three steals. Guard Denis Clemente and forward Raymond Hicks also registered double-digit points for the Hurricanes, scoring 12 and 11 respectively.

After a dominating home victory against the Leopards, the Hurricanes took their act on the road, to face the Northwestern Wildcats on Tuesday, as part of the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.

The game, which for the most part was slow-paced, turned into an extraordinary nail-biter in the final three minutes. The ‘Canes, who had trailed for most of the second half, were down by 10 with 3:21 to go in the game when they made an exhilarating comeback on the back of McClinton.

McClinton registered two free throws, an improbable two-point basket, a two-point layup and a three point shot from way downtown to bring the game to within two points. After the Hurricanes went down by four, Brian Asbury hit his third three of the game, shaving the Wildcat lead to one, with 14 seconds left to play.

After Miami took a quick foul, they saw themselves down by two with 12 seconds to go, as Wildcat guard Jason Okrzesik hit one of two at the charity strike.

With no timeouts to go, the inbounds went to Miami’s hot hand, Jack McClinton, who took the ball up court and launched a three from the next area code. The game ended with the ball bouncing off the back of the rim to seal the 61-59 Wildcats win.

The difference in the game was Miami’s poor field goal percentage. The Hurricane’s shot at a 39 percent clip, while the Wildcats connected on 50 percent of their shots.

However, the way the Hurricanes dominated on Saturday and fought back on Tuesday, it is evident the ‘Canes will be a threat in the ACC.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...