‘Canes hire new head coach

ESPN.com
reported Thursday night that the University of Miami selected Defensive Coordinator Randy Shannon as the next head coach of the football team.

Shannon is the most tenured member of the remaining staff beginning his current stay at Miami in 2001 as a hire of former Head Coach Larry Coker.

Shannon has built a reputation as a defensive mastermind. Miami ranked fifth in total defense in Division I-A this season, allowing only 252.1 yards per game this season.

Shannon is a familiar name to those who follow the ‘Canes. He was a four-year letterman at linebacker and a member of Miami’s 1987 national championship team. He began his sideline career as a graduate assistant at Miami in 1991, and briefly worked with the Miami Dolphins from 1998 to 2000.

Shannon will become the sixth African-American currently coaching in Division I-A football.

The university is expected to hold a press conference Friday morning to announce Shannon’s hiring.

Matthew Bunch may be reached at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...