‘Canes hire new head coach

ESPN.com
reported Thursday night that the University of Miami selected Defensive Coordinator Randy Shannon as the next head coach of the football team.

Shannon is the most tenured member of the remaining staff beginning his current stay at Miami in 2001 as a hire of former Head Coach Larry Coker.

Shannon has built a reputation as a defensive mastermind. Miami ranked fifth in total defense in Division I-A this season, allowing only 252.1 yards per game this season.

Shannon is a familiar name to those who follow the ‘Canes. He was a four-year letterman at linebacker and a member of Miami’s 1987 national championship team. He began his sideline career as a graduate assistant at Miami in 1991, and briefly worked with the Miami Dolphins from 1998 to 2000.

Shannon will become the sixth African-American currently coaching in Division I-A football.

The university is expected to hold a press conference Friday morning to announce Shannon’s hiring.

Matthew Bunch may be reached at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...