‘Canes hire new head coach

ESPN.com
reported Thursday night that the University of Miami selected Defensive Coordinator Randy Shannon as the next head coach of the football team.

Shannon is the most tenured member of the remaining staff beginning his current stay at Miami in 2001 as a hire of former Head Coach Larry Coker.

Shannon has built a reputation as a defensive mastermind. Miami ranked fifth in total defense in Division I-A this season, allowing only 252.1 yards per game this season.

Shannon is a familiar name to those who follow the ‘Canes. He was a four-year letterman at linebacker and a member of Miami’s 1987 national championship team. He began his sideline career as a graduate assistant at Miami in 1991, and briefly worked with the Miami Dolphins from 1998 to 2000.

Shannon will become the sixth African-American currently coaching in Division I-A football.

The university is expected to hold a press conference Friday morning to announce Shannon’s hiring.

Matthew Bunch may be reached at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...