‘Canes hire new head coach

ESPN.com
reported Thursday night that the University of Miami selected Defensive Coordinator Randy Shannon as the next head coach of the football team.

Shannon is the most tenured member of the remaining staff beginning his current stay at Miami in 2001 as a hire of former Head Coach Larry Coker.

Shannon has built a reputation as a defensive mastermind. Miami ranked fifth in total defense in Division I-A this season, allowing only 252.1 yards per game this season.

Shannon is a familiar name to those who follow the ‘Canes. He was a four-year letterman at linebacker and a member of Miami’s 1987 national championship team. He began his sideline career as a graduate assistant at Miami in 1991, and briefly worked with the Miami Dolphins from 1998 to 2000.

Shannon will become the sixth African-American currently coaching in Division I-A football.

The university is expected to hold a press conference Friday morning to announce Shannon’s hiring.

Matthew Bunch may be reached at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...