Art professor dies after battle with cancer

University of Miami ceramics professor Christine Federighi died Saturday, Nov. 18, following a 12-year battle with breast cancer. Federighi was a member of the UM faculty for 32 years, joining the UM community in 1974. She served for many years as head of the ceramics department.

Federighi’s distinctive artwork won local, national, and international acclaim, and consisted of life-size human figures, environmental installations and folk animals.

She was a five-time recipient of the State of Florida’s Individual Artist Grants and won a National Enforment for the Arts award. She was particularly influenced by American Indian as well as other tribal art.

A memorial for Federighi took place on Nov. 28 at the Lowe Art Museum with about 200 of her students, colleagues, friends and family in attendance.

A fund in Federighi’s name has also been established to provide money for University of Miami art students who cannot otherwise afford to attend specialized summer art schools, seminars and workshops.

Donations to the Christine Federighi Educational Fund may be made by contacting the Division of University Advancement.

A memoriam exhibition of Federighi’s work is planned for sometime in April at the Lowe Art Museum.

Federighi grew up in San Mateo, Calif., and is survived by her two brothers, Ron and Mark Federighi, as well as her sister, Kari Federighi Mose.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...