Art professor dies after battle with cancer

University of Miami ceramics professor Christine Federighi died Saturday, Nov. 18, following a 12-year battle with breast cancer. Federighi was a member of the UM faculty for 32 years, joining the UM community in 1974. She served for many years as head of the ceramics department.

Federighi’s distinctive artwork won local, national, and international acclaim, and consisted of life-size human figures, environmental installations and folk animals.

She was a five-time recipient of the State of Florida’s Individual Artist Grants and won a National Enforment for the Arts award. She was particularly influenced by American Indian as well as other tribal art.

A memorial for Federighi took place on Nov. 28 at the Lowe Art Museum with about 200 of her students, colleagues, friends and family in attendance.

A fund in Federighi’s name has also been established to provide money for University of Miami art students who cannot otherwise afford to attend specialized summer art schools, seminars and workshops.

Donations to the Christine Federighi Educational Fund may be made by contacting the Division of University Advancement.

A memoriam exhibition of Federighi’s work is planned for sometime in April at the Lowe Art Museum.

Federighi grew up in San Mateo, Calif., and is survived by her two brothers, Ron and Mark Federighi, as well as her sister, Kari Federighi Mose.