Culture

Another type of blackout

More than 140 million shoppers hit the stores on Black Friday weekend, spending an average of $360.15, up 18.9 percent from last year’s $302.81.

One-third of Black Friday shoppers (36.2%) got to their first shopping destination before 6am and men were more likely to wait in line, as 17.3 percent of men said they got to their first store by 4 a.m., compared to 8 percent of women.

47.9 percent of the shoppers were women, yet men outspent women by 38.1 percent. Men spent an average of $420.37 while women spent an average of $304.3.

Traditional department stores were the destination of choice with attendance from 38.8 percent of shoppers as well as specialty retailers like clothing and toy stores with 37.5 percent

And, despite all the shopping, only one in twelve consumers finished their holiday shopping.

Information provided by National Retail Federation’s 2006 Black Friday Weekend Survey

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...