An open letter to Coach Haith

Dear Coach Haith,

I write to you today with a concern I developed while standing in the student section on Sunday, Dec. 3, when Miami defeated the No. 24 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. It was a truly exhilarating experience for all of the students in the stands. However, the atmosphere was partially spoiled, when security prevented students from “rushing the court.”

While this is certainly not the most pressing issue at the university, rushing the court is a time-honored tradition in college basketball. When an underdog upsets the favorite in college basketball, the fans rush the court, to congratulate their victorious squad, and join together in a bonding experience.

With the game in hand, the ‘Canes in the stands were ready to rock. You turned to the student section, pumped your fists towards us, and the excitement nearly blew the roof off of the building. Sensing a signature win for the fledgling program, students descended from the top of the BankUnited Center towards the court, ready to charge and celebrate alongside you. However, the charge was thwarted as security choked the aisles, prohibiting students from moving. Cheers turned to anger, and it truly took the edge off an amazing night.

So what is to be done? Coach, I am aware that you are not the manager of the Andy Frain Service, who provides security to the BankUnited Center. But you are a man who has a loud voice. Anyone who knows you and your involvement with this basketball program realizes your focus is on elevating Miami to the national stage in college basketball. You know more than anyone else how fans storming the court can provide a moment to remember, a point in time that a team can build upon.

There have been arguments made that fans rushing a venue can be dangerous. While this is true, the number of students in the stands for the Georgia Tech game does not compare to the numbers who rush in other venues across the country. The crowd was excited, but peaceful. There was no true hatred directed at Georgia Tech, only joy towards the Hurricanes.

Instead, the fans were spurned, denied their opportunity to rush. This not only made the students upset, it made them look stupid. What do you do when your team defeats a ranked program? You rush the court. Anyone who heard about this hard-fought victory, at home, against the No. 24 Yellow Jackets, would expect a rush. But no. And the claim that Hurricane fans are sup-par continues.

So, Coach Haith, I implore you. A direct response must be given to the students at this university. Why isn’t storming the court allowed? If not, what makes Miami so different from every other college basketball-playing institution in the country? This question must be answered soon. Both you and I want that desire to rush to spring up again, when Miami plays the Duke Blue Devils on Jan. 14. And it will be a lot more difficult to explain if Miami defeats Duke and the question is still in the air.

Sincerely,

Matthew Bunch

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

UM President Julio Frenk will host a town hall meeting Monday with students, faculty, staff, and gue ...

A building at Miami Law is named in honor of Robert Dooley, who donated $1.1 million to support the ...

The use of video game technology helps physicians more accurately diagnose patients suffering from P ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...