WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Blessings run out against Saint Mary’s

Miami’s women’s basketball team was on the west coast this weekend, and the trip proved to be more exciting than they may have predicted. Saint Mary’s College of California handed the ‘Canes their first defeat of the season 69-68 on Friday night, just two days after scraping out an 85-83 victory over Santa Clara.

The ‘Canes (3-1) were once again trying to mount a sizeable comeback after finding themselves down 11 with 4:21 left to play. After a 14-6 run, it appeared that the Miami was well on its way to completing their second double-digit comeback in as many games. However, senior guard Renee Taylor, who finished with 22 points, missed the go-ahead shot with four seconds left, and the team’s fate was sealed.

Taylor led the team with her 22 points, hitting the only three-pointer of the night for Miami. Maurita Reid and Albrey Grimsley also scored in double-digits, putting in 13 and 10 points respectively.

The ‘Canes defense was stifling in the first half, holding the Gaels (1-1) to a 20.7 field goal percentage, off of 6-29 shooting, which contributed heavily to Miami’s 33-21 lead at the break.

However, adjustments were made in the locker room, and the Gaels started the second half with a 17-3 run. Saint Mary’s shot 57.1 percent for the remainder of the game. They finished with 48 points after halftime.

One thing that hampered the ‘Canes was their shooting from beyond the arc. Head Coach Katie Meier has previously been very excited with the team’s three point shooting, especially the 42.9 percent performance they had against the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Nov. 13. However, the team shot an anemic 1-12 from three-point range Friday night, contributing greatly to their defeat.

The ‘Canes are back in action in Coral Gables for the Thanksgiving Tournament Friday night against Nicholls State.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...