WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Blessings run out against Saint Mary’s

Miami’s women’s basketball team was on the west coast this weekend, and the trip proved to be more exciting than they may have predicted. Saint Mary’s College of California handed the ‘Canes their first defeat of the season 69-68 on Friday night, just two days after scraping out an 85-83 victory over Santa Clara.

The ‘Canes (3-1) were once again trying to mount a sizeable comeback after finding themselves down 11 with 4:21 left to play. After a 14-6 run, it appeared that the Miami was well on its way to completing their second double-digit comeback in as many games. However, senior guard Renee Taylor, who finished with 22 points, missed the go-ahead shot with four seconds left, and the team’s fate was sealed.

Taylor led the team with her 22 points, hitting the only three-pointer of the night for Miami. Maurita Reid and Albrey Grimsley also scored in double-digits, putting in 13 and 10 points respectively.

The ‘Canes defense was stifling in the first half, holding the Gaels (1-1) to a 20.7 field goal percentage, off of 6-29 shooting, which contributed heavily to Miami’s 33-21 lead at the break.

However, adjustments were made in the locker room, and the Gaels started the second half with a 17-3 run. Saint Mary’s shot 57.1 percent for the remainder of the game. They finished with 48 points after halftime.

One thing that hampered the ‘Canes was their shooting from beyond the arc. Head Coach Katie Meier has previously been very excited with the team’s three point shooting, especially the 42.9 percent performance they had against the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Nov. 13. However, the team shot an anemic 1-12 from three-point range Friday night, contributing greatly to their defeat.

The ‘Canes are back in action in Coral Gables for the Thanksgiving Tournament Friday night against Nicholls State.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...