Team ‘sick of losing’ after falling to VA

The offensive ineptitude of the Miami Hurricanes continued Saturday as they lost 17-7 to a Virginia team that entered the game needing to win their final two games for bowl eligibility.

Miami (5-6, 2-5) has lost four straight games.

“I’m sick of losing,” quarterback Kirby Freeman said. “Miami’s sick of losing. This football team’s sick of losing.”

The Hurricanes defense was carved up by Cavaliers quarterback Jameel Sewell.

Sewell completed 23 of 33 passes for 217 yards and scored both of Virginia’s touchdowns on runs in the first and second quarters.

Kirby Freeman, making just his second start for Miami, completed 11 of 18 passes for 152 yards, although more than half of the yards came on one play, a 77-yard touchdown pass to Lance Leggett.

Virginia (5-6, 4-3) was able to jump on the Hurricanes early, driving down the field on their first possession and scoring on a 12-yard Sewell keeper.

After stopping Virginia on its next possession, Miami got the ball but Sam Shields fumbled at the Miami 29 yard line and the Cavaliers recovered, leading to a one-yard Sewell touchdown run in the second quarter.

The usually rock solid run defense allowed Virginia to rush for 132 yards.

“I was disappointed with the defense,” Coker said. “I thought we misaligned some, we weren’t sharp and we missed a lot of tackles.”

Already missing six players due to injury, including quarterback Kyle Wright and left tackle Reggie Youngblood, the ‘Canes lost another two on one play early in the second quarter. Both of the injured players were offensive linemen.

Youngblood’s replacement, Jason Fox, dislocated his left elbow and Alex Pou injured his right knee. Linebacker Glenn Cook also left the game during the first half with a concussion.

It was the end of a turbulent and draining week for Miami. After memorial services for murdered teammate Bryan Pata, the team appeared to be emotionally lifeless.

“Obviously it was a very draining week,” Coker said. “But the bottom line is sometimes when you make plays you develop energy, and we just didn’t generate enough plays to feed off one another. So I don’t want to use the excuse that the drain of the week cost us the game.”

The players refused to allow the turbulence of the past few weeks to take the blame for their losses throughout the season.

“There is no excuse,” defensive end Calais Campbell said.

The Hurricanes are in danger of missing a postseason bowl for the first time since 1997, and it would be the first time since 1982 that they would miss a bowl for reasons other than probation.

Brian Yates may be contacted at b.yates@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...