FOOTBALL REPORT CARD: MIAMI VS VIRGINIA

Quarterbacks: B-
Kirby Freeman showed some stiffness when running compared to last week. The number of interceptions almost matches the number of touchdowns in his short career at UM, but he is able to do more in the pocket and think faster than Kyle Wright.

Running Backs: C+
The running game has taken a backseat lately, which may be a result of coaching calls or just the inept offensive line. We KNOW Javarris James can cover more than 95 yards on 21 carries. This unit has to be able to score if the ‘Canes hope to have any chance at a bowl game.

Receivers/Tight Ends: C+
Sam Shields’ fumble was a costly one that contributed to the mediocre Virginia team’s success against the battered Hurricanes. Lance Leggett was the lone scorer of the day . Greg Olsen had a decent game, but was unable to come up with a break-away play that could turn the game around.

Offensive Line: D
Granted, this team is exhausted from the tragic events of the last two weeks, but the O-Line is still unable to hold the opponent off so that the ‘Canes can score. The Virginia defense shouldn’t have been a tough challenge.

Defensive Line: C+
The defense can be summed up in one word: disappointing. The D-Line, along with the rest of the defense, is really feeling the emotional weight of the loss of Bryan Pata.

Linebackers: B-
Jon Beason still managed 15 tackles despite the heavy cloud over the defense, but this alone was not enough to hold off the Cavaliers. This Virginia team, under normal circumstances, would’ve been no match for the top-ranked Miami defense.

Special Teams: B+
The special teams did what they could in this sloppy, uneventful game. Jon Peattie added the PAT to the score and Brian Monroe had two punts inside the 20.

Coaching: C-
It almost seems like the coaches have given up. There was nothing new, nothing inventive and barely any energy in the team. The week was a tough one for the Hurricanes-there’s no doubt about that. BUT, there is no excuse for losing to a team whose only ACC wins have come from Duke, UNC and NC State. Not to mention the fact that the ‘Canes were almost shut out.

Compiled by Stacey Arnold

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...