Cancer survivor, NFL player tell story of friendship and football

Steven Rom, a two-time cancer survivor and former sports writer, and Rod Payne, a South Florida native who played for University of Michigan before starting a career in the NFL, will be hosting a book signing for “Centered by a Miracle: A True story of Friendship, Football and Life.”

The story centers on a low point for Rom when he was diagnosed with cancer. He and Payne met in 2001 and their friendship, which grew from a love of football, enabled him to overcome the cancer.

Check out thehurricaneonline.com next week for a review of the book.

The book signing and discussion will be held on Thursday, Nov. 30 at 7:30 p.m. at the Borders Books and Music on S. Dixie Hwy. in Pinecrest. For information and directions call 305-665-8800.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...