Book Review Quickie

Over Thanksgiving Break, show Mom and Dad you learned more than calculus and accounting this semester and whip up something special in the kitchen.

The Food Network has come out with with a how-to book designed for college students, recent grads and anyone who is just tired of the same old dinner routine.

“How to Boil Water: Life Beyond Takeout” combines the talents of the Food Network’s team of chefs, researchers, recipe developers, cooks, writers and food stylists to give you a comprehensive beginner’s cookbook. Ranging from the basics (setting up a kitchen, proper storage of food) to the menu items, “How to Boil Water” covers all the senses and makes cooking fun.

From simple snacks such as popcorn three ways (cheese, sweet and spicy and rocky road) to the more intricate oven-roasted salmon with lemon-dill seasoned salt, the book breaks down the process from ingredients, directions, tips and words of wisdom. Scattered throughout the book are hosting and shopping tips not regularly included in an average cookbook such as “want wine with that,” “lost in the meat department” and “mechanics of soup.”

Even if “How to Boil Water” doesn’t inspire you to break out the apron and prepare a culinary feast, at least you’ll know what to ask mom to cook you while you’re home.

Bari Lieberman can be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...