Book Review Quickie

Over Thanksgiving Break, show Mom and Dad you learned more than calculus and accounting this semester and whip up something special in the kitchen.

The Food Network has come out with with a how-to book designed for college students, recent grads and anyone who is just tired of the same old dinner routine.

“How to Boil Water: Life Beyond Takeout” combines the talents of the Food Network’s team of chefs, researchers, recipe developers, cooks, writers and food stylists to give you a comprehensive beginner’s cookbook. Ranging from the basics (setting up a kitchen, proper storage of food) to the menu items, “How to Boil Water” covers all the senses and makes cooking fun.

From simple snacks such as popcorn three ways (cheese, sweet and spicy and rocky road) to the more intricate oven-roasted salmon with lemon-dill seasoned salt, the book breaks down the process from ingredients, directions, tips and words of wisdom. Scattered throughout the book are hosting and shopping tips not regularly included in an average cookbook such as “want wine with that,” “lost in the meat department” and “mechanics of soup.”

Even if “How to Boil Water” doesn’t inspire you to break out the apron and prepare a culinary feast, at least you’ll know what to ask mom to cook you while you’re home.

Bari Lieberman can be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...