Book Review Quickie

Over Thanksgiving Break, show Mom and Dad you learned more than calculus and accounting this semester and whip up something special in the kitchen.

The Food Network has come out with with a how-to book designed for college students, recent grads and anyone who is just tired of the same old dinner routine.

“How to Boil Water: Life Beyond Takeout” combines the talents of the Food Network’s team of chefs, researchers, recipe developers, cooks, writers and food stylists to give you a comprehensive beginner’s cookbook. Ranging from the basics (setting up a kitchen, proper storage of food) to the menu items, “How to Boil Water” covers all the senses and makes cooking fun.

From simple snacks such as popcorn three ways (cheese, sweet and spicy and rocky road) to the more intricate oven-roasted salmon with lemon-dill seasoned salt, the book breaks down the process from ingredients, directions, tips and words of wisdom. Scattered throughout the book are hosting and shopping tips not regularly included in an average cookbook such as “want wine with that,” “lost in the meat department” and “mechanics of soup.”

Even if “How to Boil Water” doesn’t inspire you to break out the apron and prepare a culinary feast, at least you’ll know what to ask mom to cook you while you’re home.

Bari Lieberman can be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...