What’s happening, Miami?

2006 Miami Book Fair International Street Fair

Where: Miami-Dade Community College, Wolfson Campus
When: November 17-19
What: With over 200 vendors set up in the streets, browse through more than one million books for sale at this year’s fair. Activities include readings, lectures and even on-hand representatives to offer book suggestions based on your preferences. Speakers include Arian Huffington, Isabel Allende, Joan Didion, newsman Mike Wallace and Time magazine writer Dr. Andrew Weil; and be sure to check out the International Pavilions and the Antiquerian Annex.

Harvest Fest

Where: Dade County Fair and Expo center at Coral Way and SW 112 Avenue
When: November 18 and 19 from 11am-5pm
What: Kick off the shopping season with finding the perfect homemade gift at The Historical Museum of South Florida’s Harvest Fest. There will be live music, lots of food and over 15 historical reenactments of events such as the Revolutionary War, Civil War and World Wars. There will be a living history village and antique cars and engines will also be displayed. Tickets are six dollars but visit the website at ww.hmsf.org for a one dollar off coupon.
Contact: 305-375-1492

Carlos Menica

Where: Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
When: November 17 at 7pm, doors open at 6pm
What: Latino comedic sensation and host of his own Comedy Central show, “Mind of Menica,” Carlos Mencia will be performing his Punisher Tour at the Hard Rock Casino this weekend. His performance tends to run more than two hours and take on every race and religion- so be prepared to be offended. Purchase tickets in advance. Tickets run from 37-48 dollars depending on seating.

Santa’s Enchanted Forest

Where: Tropical Park at 7900 Bird Road
When: November 9- January 7, open every night from 5pm-midnight
What: Celebrate the holiday season early or just enjoy the carnival with over 100 rides, shows, games and attractions. Stop by the 92 foot Christmas tree and get in the holiday spirit with hundred of holiday displays and over three million lights. There are also pony rides, a petting zoo and the traditional midway fair food and games. All rides, shows, attractions and parking are free with paid admission. Tickets are $21.03 plus tax.
Contact: 305-559-9689

Crandon Park’s Kayak & Snorkel Excursion

Where: Crandon Park, Key Biscayne Meet at the Crandon Visitors and Nature Center
When: Every weekend!
What: Want to take advantage of living in South Florida? Crandon Park’s Kayak and Snorkel Excursion is great for beginners. The excursion includes 1 _ mile of coastal kayaking and 45 minutes of shallow water snorkeling. The snorkeling at Bear Cut Marine Preserve is home to tropical fish, conchs, sea urchins and more exotic sea life.
Cost: $50.00/Per Person (Non-residential rate); Ask about discount group rates. Snorkeling Gear available for rent – $7.00/Per Person (Includes mask, snorkel, & fins).
Contact: 305-755-7800

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...