Sports Briefs

WOMENS TENNIS
‘Canes wrap up succesfull Fall Classic
The Hurricanes went 4-0 on the final day of the Third Annual Hurricane Fall Invitational. Laura Vallverdu, Audrey Banada, Romy Farah and Gina Sabatino all collected victories for Miami, winning all four draws.

BASEBALL
Weeks named Preseason All-American
Miami sophomore second baseman Jemile Weeks was named to the 2007 National Collegiate Baseball Writers Preseason All-America Third Team. In 66 games last season, Weeks posted a .352 batting average with 69 runs, six home runs and 40 RBI. Weeks also tied a freshman record by hitting safely in 16 straight games.

FOOTBALL
Team still recovering from injuries
Quarterback Kyle Wright is expected to miss the rest of the football season following surgery to fix a thumb injury. Linebacker Tavares Gooden is questionable to play this weekend, while offensive tackle Reggie Youngblood is expected to play, according to Head Coach Larry Coker. Gooden is recovering from a head injury and has not been cleared to play. Youngblood has begun to practice following a knee injury that sidelined him in last week’s game against Maryland. Coker also believes that offensive linemen A.J. Trump could be lost for the season due to an ACL injury. Wide Receiver Rashaun Jones has been suspended for two games due to violating team rules.

NFL
Former Hurricane ties NFL record
Chicago Bear and former Miami Hurricane Devin Hester tied the NFL record for longest return when he ran back a field goal attempt by New York Giant kicker Jay Feely for a 108-yard touchdown run. The returned extended the Bears lead to 31-20, helping to secure a 38-20 victory in the game.

RECRUITING
Miami gets commitment from WR/DB
UM’s football team picked up an oral commitment from Glades Central wide receiver and defensive back Tarus McKinley. He has caught 12 balls for 217 yards on the season and is the 51st ranked wide out according to Scout.com. McKinley is the younger brother of Miami cornerback Randy Phillips.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com and the Orlando Sentinel.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...