Sports Briefs

WOMENS TENNIS
‘Canes wrap up succesfull Fall Classic
The Hurricanes went 4-0 on the final day of the Third Annual Hurricane Fall Invitational. Laura Vallverdu, Audrey Banada, Romy Farah and Gina Sabatino all collected victories for Miami, winning all four draws.

BASEBALL
Weeks named Preseason All-American
Miami sophomore second baseman Jemile Weeks was named to the 2007 National Collegiate Baseball Writers Preseason All-America Third Team. In 66 games last season, Weeks posted a .352 batting average with 69 runs, six home runs and 40 RBI. Weeks also tied a freshman record by hitting safely in 16 straight games.

FOOTBALL
Team still recovering from injuries
Quarterback Kyle Wright is expected to miss the rest of the football season following surgery to fix a thumb injury. Linebacker Tavares Gooden is questionable to play this weekend, while offensive tackle Reggie Youngblood is expected to play, according to Head Coach Larry Coker. Gooden is recovering from a head injury and has not been cleared to play. Youngblood has begun to practice following a knee injury that sidelined him in last week’s game against Maryland. Coker also believes that offensive linemen A.J. Trump could be lost for the season due to an ACL injury. Wide Receiver Rashaun Jones has been suspended for two games due to violating team rules.

NFL
Former Hurricane ties NFL record
Chicago Bear and former Miami Hurricane Devin Hester tied the NFL record for longest return when he ran back a field goal attempt by New York Giant kicker Jay Feely for a 108-yard touchdown run. The returned extended the Bears lead to 31-20, helping to secure a 38-20 victory in the game.

RECRUITING
Miami gets commitment from WR/DB
UM’s football team picked up an oral commitment from Glades Central wide receiver and defensive back Tarus McKinley. He has caught 12 balls for 217 yards on the season and is the 51st ranked wide out according to Scout.com. McKinley is the younger brother of Miami cornerback Randy Phillips.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com and the Orlando Sentinel.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...