Sports Briefs

WOMENS TENNIS
‘Canes wrap up succesfull Fall Classic
The Hurricanes went 4-0 on the final day of the Third Annual Hurricane Fall Invitational. Laura Vallverdu, Audrey Banada, Romy Farah and Gina Sabatino all collected victories for Miami, winning all four draws.

BASEBALL
Weeks named Preseason All-American
Miami sophomore second baseman Jemile Weeks was named to the 2007 National Collegiate Baseball Writers Preseason All-America Third Team. In 66 games last season, Weeks posted a .352 batting average with 69 runs, six home runs and 40 RBI. Weeks also tied a freshman record by hitting safely in 16 straight games.

FOOTBALL
Team still recovering from injuries
Quarterback Kyle Wright is expected to miss the rest of the football season following surgery to fix a thumb injury. Linebacker Tavares Gooden is questionable to play this weekend, while offensive tackle Reggie Youngblood is expected to play, according to Head Coach Larry Coker. Gooden is recovering from a head injury and has not been cleared to play. Youngblood has begun to practice following a knee injury that sidelined him in last week’s game against Maryland. Coker also believes that offensive linemen A.J. Trump could be lost for the season due to an ACL injury. Wide Receiver Rashaun Jones has been suspended for two games due to violating team rules.

NFL
Former Hurricane ties NFL record
Chicago Bear and former Miami Hurricane Devin Hester tied the NFL record for longest return when he ran back a field goal attempt by New York Giant kicker Jay Feely for a 108-yard touchdown run. The returned extended the Bears lead to 31-20, helping to secure a 38-20 victory in the game.

RECRUITING
Miami gets commitment from WR/DB
UM’s football team picked up an oral commitment from Glades Central wide receiver and defensive back Tarus McKinley. He has caught 12 balls for 217 yards on the season and is the 51st ranked wide out according to Scout.com. McKinley is the younger brother of Miami cornerback Randy Phillips.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com and the Orlando Sentinel.

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...