Public Safety – Weekly Safety Tip

Each year 46,000 cyclists are injured and 600 cyclists are killed in collisions with motor vehicles.

The Department of Public Safety recognizes that many students at the University of Miami use bicycles to get around campus and to get around the city. Cycling is a healthy and efficient means of transportation, so long as student cyclists practice the basics of bicycle safety. First and foremost, wear a helmet; more than 70% of bicycle-related fatalities result from head injuries. Always ride with motor vehicle traffic, and in a straight and predictable path. Stay alert at all times; watch out for potholes, cracks, expansion joints, railroad tracks, wet leaves, drainage grates, or anything else that could make you fall. Wear clothes that make you highly visible during the day, in the evening, and at night; cyclist apparel with integrated reflectors provide an extra level of visibility. Lastly, protect your bicycle by keeping it locked to a bicycle rack with a sturdy lock. If you don’t have one, the Department of Public Safety provides free U-style bicycle locks. Further information on bicycle safety and crime prevention is available at www.miami.edu/publicsafety or through the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...