New Ferrell film is anything but strange

Attributing significance to our lives is an important notion for many human beings. How significant are we in the greater scheme of things? Are we invisible, just another fly on the wall? Marc Forster’s new film, “Stranger Than Fiction”, poignantly asserts that such is not the case. And he does so with the impeding death of Harold Crick.

Crick (Will Ferrell) is an IRS agent. His life is filled with mundane, ordered structure. He is a walking instrument, to be more precise. That is, until his life is interrupted by a mysterious ‘voice,’ which begins to narrate his daily business. The ‘voice’ actually belongs to author Kay Eiffel (the wonderful Emma Thompson), but as far as Crick knows, he might as well be schizophrenic.

At first, Crick tries to ignore the ‘voice,’ simply writing it off as a nuisance. That is, until it reveals that in the near future, he will die. As one can imagine, this news isn’t exactly pleasing for Crick to hear. Soon, he’s off to find out exactly what this ‘voice’ is and why it wants him dead. What results is a perfectly executed and insightful series of events that add meaning and warmth to what it means to be alive.

“Stranger Than Fiction” is one of the more recent films that actually represent a full hand of talent. Everything from the writing (from an extremely talented newcomer, Zack Helm) to the direction (the always-impeccable Marc Forster) to the acting is spot-on and even inspiring. There are many opportunities for the film to veer off course or become sloppy, but it never does. It is endlessly fresh, engaging, witty and perfect. If nothing else, it will hopefully garner itself a couple Oscar Nominations, especially for Ferrell, who gives the best performance of his career thus far.

In a year that is getting progressively better as it comes to an end, “Stranger Than Fiction” is one more film you should add to your ‘must-see’ list. When it comes to the best films of any year, there is no question that November and December are the months that offer the bulk of them. Just like “Babel”, “Stranger Than Fiction” happens to be another example of why people go to the movies.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...