MATCHUP: MIAMI vs. VIRGINIA

OFFENSE: Miami gave themselves many opportunities to beat Maryland. The main problem was the dropped passes. Virginia is third in the country in fumbles lost, which showed when they were shut out by FSU 33-0 in their last game.
Advantage: MIAMI

QUARTERBACK: Kirby Freeman was picked off by a total fluke play, with “fluke” being the theme of the game. He was an efficient rusher with 60 yards on nine attempts and his passing has greatly improved. True freshman Jameel Sewell has only five touchdown passes this year, along with five interceptions.
Advantage: MIAMI

RUNNING BACK: Javarris James impressed again, along with Tyrone Moss and Charlie Jones who all had significant yards rushing; together they totaled 180 net yards. While UVA has struggled rushing, their leader is Jason Snelling, a 5 foot 11 inch, 253 pound senior.
Advantage: MIAMI

O-LINE: UVA has given up 23 sacks this season with Sewell under center. With the rushing game struggling too, point to the boys up front. Even with AJ Trump’s injury early that left him out for the rest of the game, Miami allowed only ONE sack.

Advantage: MIAMI

WIDE RECEIVERS/TIGHT ENDS: With all of UVA’s offensive problems, their main receiver is Kevin Ogletree who is in the top five in the ACC for receptions. Against FSU, most of their passes were to Snelling out of the backfield. Drops hurt Miami badly against Maryland.
Advantage: EVEN

DEFENSE: Miami continues to have the best rushing defense in their history. Both deep passes for TD’s allowed against the Terps were blown in coverage, but the defense tightened up in the second half. UVA held FSU’s rushing game in check, and, except at the goal line, the damage was done through the air.
Advantage: MIAMI

D-LINE: Calais Campbell continues to be a monster at defensive end for the ‘Canes. He’s one sack away of tying Daniel Stubb’s 1986 record single-season streak of 8 games. UVA’s 3-4 style has freshman Jeffrey Fitzgerald starting at end, who is their team leader in sacks and tackles.
Advantage: MIAMI

LINEBACKERS: Sophomore Darryl Sharpton has had a great showing as a run stopper in Miami’s last two road games. For the Cavaliers’ run stopping, one of their outsides line up as a 4th defensive lineman.
Advantage: MIAMI

SECONDARY: Kenny Phillips was missed last week. Some miscommunication and a fall led to two deep touchdown passes against Maryland in the first half. Virginia’s returning leading tackler from last year is safety Tony Franklin
.Advantage: MIAMI

SPECIAL TEAMS: Place kicker Chris Gould for UVA is perfect from every attempt under 40 yards, and hasn’t made a kick at 50 and over. Miami’s Jon Peattie missed from 50 last week with the wind blowing. Regardless, Peattie has shown distance this year. The big problem is muffing punt returns-it must stop.
Advantage: EVEN

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...