Letter to the Editor:

Matthew Bunch recently questioned the national media piling on the University of Miami as “Thug U” in the wake of the death of Bryan Pata. This, unfortunately, is nothing new. While he correctly points out that other universities have their fair share of “problems,” it seems unfair our University of Miami receives the reputation it has. When something unfortunate happens, as it did against FIU, incidents from 15 years ago will appear as if they were yesterday. However, this is a lesson that every ‘Cane must learn. Though this might be our reputation, stay proud of the greatness that exists within the University of Miami. And as for the national media, just remember, “It’s a ‘Canes thing, they wouldn’t understand.”

JT Thomson
Class of ’05

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...