Judge-ment Day

On behalf of the University of Miami and myself, I would like to thank Chief Justice John Roberts, Jr. for coming down and speaking to us.

Those of you who are critics of this University should simply quiet down. I know in the past I have jokingly written articles about the chlorine in the fountains and the overwhelming duck poop, so please don’t call me out on my hypocrisy.

In all seriousness, this is my fourth year at this university, and in that time, I have heard lectures and/or had the pleasure of meeting the Dalai Lama, John Kerry, Bill Nelson, Peter Deutsch, James Carville, and now the Chief Justice of the United States, among others. I am truly honored to be a student here in order to have these opportunities.

These are very powerful people with very busy schedules who, in the words of Chief Justice Roberts, “made an exception to come here.” President Shalala has done a wonderful job getting these prestigious people to make such exceptions to speak here at UM. The fact that this is Miami surely helps her cause.

As for the speech itself, when I first sat down, my girlfriend turned to me and said, “Wow, he’s young.” My immediate response was, “Yeah, and we are stuck with him for a good 40 years or so.” Then, Board of Trustees Chairman Dean Colson began to speak and impressed me; he was both funny and informative, and set up what was to come next.

Then the “chief,” as his colleges call him, finally spoke. He did so with great knowledge and wisdom, but he did it in laymen’s terms so everyone could understand. He kept everyones’ attention with his quick wit and interesting stories about the life of a Justice.

I will be the first one to say that I was wrong. I am honored and pleasured to be “stuck with him for a good 40 years or so.” I did have one concern, however: the sound quality was horrible. You would think for a place that puts on concerts, they would have better sound equipment.

Justin Diamond is a senior majoring in management. He really enjoyed the John Roberts lecture and may be contacted at j.diamond2@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...