Judge-ment Day

On behalf of the University of Miami and myself, I would like to thank Chief Justice John Roberts, Jr. for coming down and speaking to us.

Those of you who are critics of this University should simply quiet down. I know in the past I have jokingly written articles about the chlorine in the fountains and the overwhelming duck poop, so please don’t call me out on my hypocrisy.

In all seriousness, this is my fourth year at this university, and in that time, I have heard lectures and/or had the pleasure of meeting the Dalai Lama, John Kerry, Bill Nelson, Peter Deutsch, James Carville, and now the Chief Justice of the United States, among others. I am truly honored to be a student here in order to have these opportunities.

These are very powerful people with very busy schedules who, in the words of Chief Justice Roberts, “made an exception to come here.” President Shalala has done a wonderful job getting these prestigious people to make such exceptions to speak here at UM. The fact that this is Miami surely helps her cause.

As for the speech itself, when I first sat down, my girlfriend turned to me and said, “Wow, he’s young.” My immediate response was, “Yeah, and we are stuck with him for a good 40 years or so.” Then, Board of Trustees Chairman Dean Colson began to speak and impressed me; he was both funny and informative, and set up what was to come next.

Then the “chief,” as his colleges call him, finally spoke. He did so with great knowledge and wisdom, but he did it in laymen’s terms so everyone could understand. He kept everyones’ attention with his quick wit and interesting stories about the life of a Justice.

I will be the first one to say that I was wrong. I am honored and pleasured to be “stuck with him for a good 40 years or so.” I did have one concern, however: the sound quality was horrible. You would think for a place that puts on concerts, they would have better sound equipment.

Justin Diamond is a senior majoring in management. He really enjoyed the John Roberts lecture and may be contacted at j.diamond2@umiami.edu.

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...