News Briefs

UMNews

New grant to enhance computer science and math education

The university has recently received a grant from the National Science Foundation to go towards undergraduate science education. The $467,575 grant will fund scholarships for students wishing to pursue a second major in the fields of computer science or mathematics.

Scholars of UM’s Computer Science and Mathematics for Scientists project will receive program-specific advising, mentoring and progress mentoring assistance over the course of their studies. Students will also be given the opportunity to network with potential employers. The university also has specific plans to increase the amount of underrepresented groups in computer science and mathematics, and encourages high school teacher workshops.

Scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis based on financial need, academic merit and diversity, and will cover eight years of academic coursework for up to four years.

ELSEWhere

Calorie reduction could possibly help increase lifespan

STEFANIE PEHR // THE DAILY VIDETTE (ILLINOIS STATE U.)

(U-WIRE) NORMAL, Ill. – Numerous studies, including some done in Wisconsin, have linked dramatic effects in animals and more recently monkeys that indicate calorie reduction could extend the lifespan. While still taking nutrients and vitamins into consideration, the idea of calorie reduction is to eat about 30 percent less calories than normal.

According to Bob Cavanaugh, the secretary and editor with the Calorie Reduction Society, those who encourage calorie reduction have received a lot of scrutiny, but are finally starting to get some recognition for this concept.

Cavanaugh said he emphasizes the pairing of calorie reduction with proper nutrition and the combination of the two is what truly increases the lifespan and delays the onset of age-related disease.

There are still many skeptics of calorie restricted diets who do not believe Americans can stay on such diets because they are too strict and will feel miserable trying to attempt them.

Cavanaugh said he has seen many members of society having a difficult time adjusting to the new diet, but the idea is to ease into it and stay on track.

“I cannot emphasize enough the idea of easing into the diet…you must gradually change your diet to include less calories, not all at once. Also, keeping track of what you’re eating by using various types of software can help you see your progress,” Cavanaugh explained.

Cavanaugh said none of his members have had any self-repercussions from these kinds of toxins and easing into these diets helps the body adjust. He also said the Calorie Reduction Society has been considered the first human cohort for calorie reduction and they will not know if this idea truly works until the members start dying.

ETC

There are two Student Government Senate seats available for the School of Architecture and the School of Music. Applications are available in UC 214 and are due back Monday, Nov. 27, in Speaker Pro Tempore Brandon Gross’ mailbox. Interviews to be held on Tuesday, Nov. 28.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...