Album Review Quickie

What better to way to name a compilation album then by combining the names of all the EP’s you released. On his latest solo effort, Supersunnyspeedgraphic the LP, singer-songwriter-piano player Ben Folds remasters the bulk of his EP work and a few covers to put together a decent collection.

Compilations are a difficult beast to tame. Let’s face it, all the tracks have been heard before and there’s nothing fresh to bring to the table. Folds manages to hold his own by slighty touching up some early work in his Nashville studio. The difference isn’t extraordinary but it is there. There are a few covers on the album that are impressive.

In a cover of Dr. Dre’s “Bitches Ain’t Shit,” Folds’ smooth voice sings to the tune of “Bitches ain’t shit but ho’s and tricks.” This classic tune from 1992 is sure to even make Dre laugh up a storm after hearing Folds croon to a piano. The title track of the album is The Cure’s cover of “Inbetween Days,” an effort that is good quality but should be left to Robert Smith and company to play.

Fans of his earlier work will obviously like Sunnyspeed, but new listeners should not expect the album to be completely satisfying.

Marcos Col

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...