Album Review Quickie

What better to way to name a compilation album then by combining the names of all the EP’s you released. On his latest solo effort, Supersunnyspeedgraphic the LP, singer-songwriter-piano player Ben Folds remasters the bulk of his EP work and a few covers to put together a decent collection.

Compilations are a difficult beast to tame. Let’s face it, all the tracks have been heard before and there’s nothing fresh to bring to the table. Folds manages to hold his own by slighty touching up some early work in his Nashville studio. The difference isn’t extraordinary but it is there. There are a few covers on the album that are impressive.

In a cover of Dr. Dre’s “Bitches Ain’t Shit,” Folds’ smooth voice sings to the tune of “Bitches ain’t shit but ho’s and tricks.” This classic tune from 1992 is sure to even make Dre laugh up a storm after hearing Folds croon to a piano. The title track of the album is The Cure’s cover of “Inbetween Days,” an effort that is good quality but should be left to Robert Smith and company to play.

Fans of his earlier work will obviously like Sunnyspeed, but new listeners should not expect the album to be completely satisfying.

Marcos Col

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

For the 17th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season in the top 25 of the ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...