A play within a play within The Ring Theatre

William Shakespeare’s most well-known comedy, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”, began its run at the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre last week. The play revolves around a number of characters in 16th century Athens, focusing on an intricate web of love.

Hermia (Megan Walter) and Lysander (Mark Ramos) want to marry in spite of the wishes of Hermia’s mother, Egeus (Courtney Smith), who wants her to marry Demetrious (Brendan Maroney). Compounding this, Helena (Lauren Conolly) loves Demetrious, but her sentiments are not reciprocated.

Comedic calamities transpire after Hermia and Lysander flee to wed on their own. Oberon (Chris Teutsch), the head fairy, directs Puck (Shaun Brown), one of his disciples, to place a spell on several characters. Though well-intentioned, Puck’s spells create all kinds of amorous enigmas.

One of the most energetic and entertaining characters is Buttons (Mike Gurrieri), who is the main character in a tragic drama produced by Quince (Matthew Goldberg) within the main show. This metadrama, a play within a play, provides a great deal of comic relief as its players prepare for their production as well as in the final scene, when the whimsical tragedy is performed in the palace.

At one point in the show, the male fairies appeared from trap doors in the stage, picking up several players and dramatically dropping them in to the smoky abyss, with a mattress and a gym mat to break their four-foot fall.

Or was it all just a dream? That is left to the audience.

Though some of the actors and actresses did not quite capture the true Shakespearean style of the show, all were on the top of their game and performed like pros. All of the elements came together though out the show, providing for a very humorous and satisfying theater-going experience.

For the dates of remaining performances, visit www.as.miami.edu/theatrearts/ring.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...