you have two choices when dealing with a two-faced friend

I’m having problems with a friend of mine. She is a really nice person, and we used to get along really well. But, recently, things have changed. I have found out through other friends that she is always making really nasty comments about me behind my back and has been making these comments about me for a really long time. The funny thing is, she will be really nice to me, almost too nice to me to my face. It’s pretty obvious that I can’t trust her anymore. Is it worth my time and energy to confront her about her behavior? Or, should I just not even bother?

Being Back Stabbed

Dear Reader,

For whatever reasons, I think that this is a fairly common issue in many female friendships, especially those that were never terribly strong to begin with. Of course, nobody likes to see one of their friendships implode, but sometimes these collapses cannot be avoided; realistically, who wants to call some who talks poorly about her behind her back a friend? I’m sure that you don’t.

What is so unfortunate about losing a nasty friend is that even the loss of someone who proved to you that she clearly wasn’t worth your time can totally wreak havoc on your emotions and your energy. If you are in a particularly feisty mood, a vengeful personality, or just seeking some personal satisfaction, it might be worth your time and effort to confront her about her behavior. Of course, you risk being branded a “bitch” yourself if you choose to utilize this path of action. On the flip side, you might just want to let things wither away. I’m sure that someone who cares enough to think about this kind of a problem has a roster chock full of other friends, commitments and attachments. Yeah, it might be awkward having to mask your resentment of your ex-friend in situations where you are forced to socialize with her, but really, what’s so wrong with a little silent treatment now and then? But, if your anger can no longer be contained, go ahead and say something to the lovely lady.

Best of Luck!

V.

Fact O’ the Day…An average man has a nine-minute attention span…

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...