you have two choices when dealing with a two-faced friend

I’m having problems with a friend of mine. She is a really nice person, and we used to get along really well. But, recently, things have changed. I have found out through other friends that she is always making really nasty comments about me behind my back and has been making these comments about me for a really long time. The funny thing is, she will be really nice to me, almost too nice to me to my face. It’s pretty obvious that I can’t trust her anymore. Is it worth my time and energy to confront her about her behavior? Or, should I just not even bother?

Being Back Stabbed

Dear Reader,

For whatever reasons, I think that this is a fairly common issue in many female friendships, especially those that were never terribly strong to begin with. Of course, nobody likes to see one of their friendships implode, but sometimes these collapses cannot be avoided; realistically, who wants to call some who talks poorly about her behind her back a friend? I’m sure that you don’t.

What is so unfortunate about losing a nasty friend is that even the loss of someone who proved to you that she clearly wasn’t worth your time can totally wreak havoc on your emotions and your energy. If you are in a particularly feisty mood, a vengeful personality, or just seeking some personal satisfaction, it might be worth your time and effort to confront her about her behavior. Of course, you risk being branded a “bitch” yourself if you choose to utilize this path of action. On the flip side, you might just want to let things wither away. I’m sure that someone who cares enough to think about this kind of a problem has a roster chock full of other friends, commitments and attachments. Yeah, it might be awkward having to mask your resentment of your ex-friend in situations where you are forced to socialize with her, but really, what’s so wrong with a little silent treatment now and then? But, if your anger can no longer be contained, go ahead and say something to the lovely lady.

Best of Luck!

V.

Fact O’ the Day…An average man has a nine-minute attention span…

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...