Sports Briefs

Men’s Basketball

The University of Miami opened the men’s basketball season in an exhibition match up against Northwood University. The Hurricanes defeated the Seahawks 94-54 at the Bank United Center on Nov. 6.

Miami had four scorers in double-figures including forward Jimmy Graham, forward/center Anthony King, and two new guards, Jack McClinton and James Dews.

Cory McJimson and Marvin Owens led Northwood with 10 and 11 points respectively.

Miami shot 57 percent from the field while holding Northwood to 31 percent. The Hurricanes made more free throws then the Seahawks attempted.

Northwood University is in its first year of action out of West Palm Beach in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics. Head Coach Rollie Massimino led the Seahawks. Massimino is most known for being the head coach for Villanova University in 1985 when the Wildcats defeated Georgetown University to win the national championship.

Women’s Basketball

Miami defeated Barry University in an exhibition match up 76-37 on Nov. 4 at the BankUnited Center.

Guard Renee Taylor led Miami with 21 points. Forward Charmaine Clark scored 15 points and guard Maurita Reid added 10.

Christina Thompson led Barry with seven points.

Women’s Tennis

Top-ranked junior Audra Cohen won the ITA Indoor Championships at Columbus, Oh. She defeated Fresno Pacific’s Jelena Pandzic 5-7, 6-4, 6-2. Cohen improved to 10-1 for the season.

Laura Vallverdu defeated five players, three of whom were ranked, in route to winning the Women’s Fall Desert Collegiate Classic in Palm Springs.

Vallverdu won in the finals against Georgia Tech’s Amanda McDowell 6-1, 5-7, 6-3.

Men’s Tennis

Miami sophomore Daniel Vallverdu won the 2006 Seminole Invitational singles championship after Kentucky’s Bruno Agostinelli defaulted in the championship match.

Vallverdu earned a birth into the finals after defeating Florida State’s Jean Yves Aubone 6-2, 6-3.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

Jimmy Murphy insists his life hasn't changed (much) after his internet-breaking touchdown and c ...

Hurricanes standouts Mykea Gray and Beatrice Mompremier have the opportunity of a lifetime this week ...

Miami Athletics announced Wednesday the completion of the new Boich Family Scoreboard at the Neil Sc ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba, the reigning NCAA singles champion, opens the 2019-20 season ranked second i ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...