Sports Briefs

Men’s Basketball

The University of Miami opened the men’s basketball season in an exhibition match up against Northwood University. The Hurricanes defeated the Seahawks 94-54 at the Bank United Center on Nov. 6.

Miami had four scorers in double-figures including forward Jimmy Graham, forward/center Anthony King, and two new guards, Jack McClinton and James Dews.

Cory McJimson and Marvin Owens led Northwood with 10 and 11 points respectively.

Miami shot 57 percent from the field while holding Northwood to 31 percent. The Hurricanes made more free throws then the Seahawks attempted.

Northwood University is in its first year of action out of West Palm Beach in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics. Head Coach Rollie Massimino led the Seahawks. Massimino is most known for being the head coach for Villanova University in 1985 when the Wildcats defeated Georgetown University to win the national championship.

Women’s Basketball

Miami defeated Barry University in an exhibition match up 76-37 on Nov. 4 at the BankUnited Center.

Guard Renee Taylor led Miami with 21 points. Forward Charmaine Clark scored 15 points and guard Maurita Reid added 10.

Christina Thompson led Barry with seven points.

Women’s Tennis

Top-ranked junior Audra Cohen won the ITA Indoor Championships at Columbus, Oh. She defeated Fresno Pacific’s Jelena Pandzic 5-7, 6-4, 6-2. Cohen improved to 10-1 for the season.

Laura Vallverdu defeated five players, three of whom were ranked, in route to winning the Women’s Fall Desert Collegiate Classic in Palm Springs.

Vallverdu won in the finals against Georgia Tech’s Amanda McDowell 6-1, 5-7, 6-3.

Men’s Tennis

Miami sophomore Daniel Vallverdu won the 2006 Seminole Invitational singles championship after Kentucky’s Bruno Agostinelli defaulted in the championship match.

Vallverdu earned a birth into the finals after defeating Florida State’s Jean Yves Aubone 6-2, 6-3.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...