Panic! at the musical circus

Clad in circus outfits and face paint, Panic! At the Disco put on quite a show the thousands of screaming fans – mostly middle and high school-aged girls – Tuesday night at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise. Consistent with the theme, they played under a circus tent replete with stilt walkers, a man in a cage and other costumed contortionists.

Though lead singer Brendon Urie’s vocals were not amplified sufficiently to be as prominent as they are in the album, he performed very well.

Songs like the hit single “I Write Sins Not Tragedies,” kept the audience on its feet and fully engaged in the show for Panic!’s performance, which lasted slightly longer than one hour. The music took somewhat of a backseat to the theatrics, but made it nonetheless a unique concert experience.

Panic! also performed two covers that surely please the parent chaperone’s in attendance- “Killer Queen” and “Eleanor Rigby,” two classics from Queen and The Beatles, respectively. Urie’s vocals made the Queen cover the better of the two.

Opening for Panic! were Jack’s Mannequin and Bloc Party. Jack’s performance – their first in an arena – was a very fun and musically strong. Bloc Party’s performance, though it had a couple high points, was not as memorable. It seems that hearing the vocals was the problem of the night as Andrew McMahon, Jack’s front-man, was also plagued by the band drowning out his singing at the beginning of their set, but this improved by the third song.

Overall it was a very enjoyable show with a good mix of music, talent and theatrics.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...