News Briefs

UMNews

Renowned psychologist joins School of Education

Donald Meichenbaum, Ph.D., a prominent psychotherapist and one of the founders of cognitive behavior therapy, will join the University of Miami as a distinguished visiting professor in the School of Education.

In his book Cognitive Behavior Modification: An Integrative Approach, Meichenbaum cites the encouragement of personal happiness combined with the improvement of environmental conditions as beneficial to developing the quality of life for children, adolescents and whole communities.

Currently Meichenbaum works as the research director for the Melissa Institute for Violence Prevention and Treatment of Victims in Miami, as well as distinguished professor emeritus at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada.

Move-in date for University Village residents postponed

The move-in date for residents of building one has been pushed back to Dec. 1 due to continued construction delays. Accommodations at the Holiday Inn and meal plans have been extended for this period, and rent for the month of November has been waived.

ELSEWhere

Web site exposes aviation security lapse

PHIL BENNETT // SPARTAN DAILY (SAN JOSE STATE U.)

(U-WIRE) SAN JOSE, Calif. – On Oct. 27, a 24-year-old computer security student at Indiana University-Bloomington named Christopher Soghoian created a Web site that allows people to create fake boarding passes for Northwest Airlines flights, according to ABCNews.com.

Some students believe that Soghoian’s actions warrant punishment. Others feel that Soghoian’s production of this Web site does not warrant his imprisonment.

“I don’t believe that Soghoian should go to prison, since he never actually attempted to use the tickets,” said Jessica Jeronimus, an aviation major.

Soghoian told ABCNews.com it’s the only way to show people how deeply flawed airport and airline security are.

According to CNN.com, the Transportation Security Administration said that what Soghoian has done is illegal and that using one of these fake boarding passes would be illegal as well.

ETC

Three award-winning films by UM film students will be screened at Books & Books’ Films in the Courtyard on Saturday, Nov. 11, at 8:30 p.m. The filmmakers will be present for a Q&A session after the screening. Free admission.

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...