MATCHUP: MIAMI vs. MARYLAND

OFFENSE: Maryland’s passing game managed one score against a tough Clemson defense to be the determining factor in the Terps upset win last week. With key Hurricane starters injured, the offensive struggles look to continue, but with the death of Bryan Pata, I would expect Miami to play with everything they have in his memory.
Advantage: Maryland

O-LINE: Miami’s group allowed two sacks but had difficulty opening running lanes and allowed Virginia Tech’s D-Line to deflect several passes. Maryland’s line had similar troubles.
Advantage: Even

RUNNING BACKS: Maryland’s Lance Ball is normally the premier back, but Keon Lattimore got the start against Clemson. Both like to run between the tackles, but struggled last week. Javarris James has had problems staying healthy for an entire game and Tyrone Moss had a 50-yard run for the lone Miami touchdown.
Advantage: Even

RECEIVERS: Greg Olsen has been hurt this week, which is another big problem for Miami. Maryland spread the wealth against Clemson with four receivers having more than four catches.
Advantage: Maryland

QUARTERBACKS: Kyle Wright will possibly sit out this week with a sprained right thumb giving Kirby Freeman the start. Freeman threw a pick and fumbled last week against VT. Maryland’s Sam Hollenbach, normally knocked for throwing a lot of interceptions had the game of his career, with 247 yards and a touchdown.
Advantage: Maryland

DEFENSE: Playing a football game on the road after the death of a teammate is something I would never wish any team to experience. Miami will obviously play with heavy hearts, but high emotions. Maryland’s defense kept Clemson out of the endzone.
Advantage: MIAMI

D-LINE: With the death of Pata, Miami’s defensive line will likely play in his memory. This will likely include another break-out performance by Calais Campbell, who has eight sacks this season. Maryland’s Conrad Bolston was great against FSU.
Advantage: MIAMI

LINEBACKERS: Maryland’s Erin Henderson was everywhere against Clemson, recording 18 total tackles, nine solo and forced the fumble that should have resulted in a safety. Miami continues to have the third best rushing defense in the country allowing an average of 64.4 yards a game. A lot of the credit goes to the linebackers.
Advantage: MIAMI

SECONDARY: Josh Wilson was the most productive for Maryland from is corner position. He made a touchdown saving tackle on James Davis, one of his seven solo tackles. Besides some problems with penalties, Miami’s secondary has been a team of sacrifice. Miami has yet to return a pick for a score.
Advantage: MIAMI

SPECIAL TEAMS: Bruce Johnson nearly returned a punt for a score against VT and Jon Peattie nailed a 55-yard field goal, which was the catalyst for Miami’s second half surge. Dan Ennis hit a 31-yard field goal as time expired for Maryland to upset Clemson.
Advantage: Even

Rodolfo Tomarchio may be contacted at r.tomarchio@umiami.edu.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...