Editorial: Dealing with tragedy and loss on campus

Tuesday night, UM defensive lineman Bryan Pata was shot dead outside his apartment complex, less than a week after senior John Warnecke’s car hit a train, a month after freshman Erik Swanson died in Miami Beach, and three and a half months after sophomore Lee Weisbrod was struck by lightning.

And that’s only this year. Turn the clock back further, and you’ll see the stories of Ashley Kelley, Braden Ray and Chad Meredith, who were run over, fell off the top of Rosborough, and drowned, respectively. Each death was, and still is, a sobering, shocking and brutally honest reminder of how fickle our lives really are.

The fact that they were young only compounds the tragic element. Add to this the fact that most of these deaths could have been prevented, and it’s easy to feel frustrated, even angry at a world in which this could happen – especially for those who’ve experienced loss directly.

The inevitability and finality of death has always had a powerful effect on our collective psyche since the dawn of mankind. Both a fascination with, and desire to escape, death is reflected in cultures around the world, both ancient and modern. For as long as people were dying, people were trying to figure out how to cope, how to make sense of it all. The Pyramids at Giza, the Taj Mahal, Lenin’s Mausoleum and the field of cryonics (not to be confused with cryogenics) would not exist but for the incredible hold death has on our minds.

So it’s easy to see the shockwaves spread when death hits so close to home, as it has in all the aforementioned cases. As those close to the deceased grieve – the healthiest thing to do following a loss – the university community must come together in solidarity, recognizing the fact that death affects us all.

And every time a young man or woman died at the university, our community has always pulled together both in memory, and to look to the future. Vigils were held, memorials were erected, and in some cases, resolutions were passed in the hopes of not only making sure these people are never forgotten, but to hopefully prevent similar tragedies from happening again.

John Warnecke and Bryan Pata are no exceptions. As we mourn these two men, it is vitally important – not just for those in mourning, but also everyone in the community – to not dwell on the past. Remember these men for who they were, and the lives they lived, but also look to the future.

And always, always enjoy the life we’re fortunate enough to still have – because if there’s something we can learn from these sudden tragedies, it’s that life comes at us fast, and we’re only guaranteed the moment. So let’s make the most out of it. Starting now.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...