Contest hopes to inspire ‘green’ ideas from students

General Electric and mtvU, MTV’s 24-hour college network, have come together seeking to inspire college students to make a significant environmental impact on American college campuses. They have launched the Ecomagination Challenge – a search for the best ways and ideas to make college campuses go green and become more environmentally friendly.

Environmental degradation has become a massive problem in today’s modern, ever changing world and many people, including Lorraine Bolsinger, GE vice president for Ecomagination, believes that preventative measures should be taken today to preclude further decline in the future.

“Tomorrow’s answers come from questions asked on America’s college campuses today,” she said.

The contestant(s) who propose the most effective, creative, innovative and easily-implemented idea to make their campus more environmentally-friendly will receive a $25,000 grant to execute their project on their campus.

Furthermore, the winning school will also receive an mtvU Earth Day Concert and Festival in the spring with performances from top up-and-coming artists.

“Who won’t want to participate in this challenge when it is a win-win situation?” junior Nikki D’Addario said. “We will be able to help the environment, make our school greener and, if we win, it will certainly bring good publicity for the University of Miami.”

The stated goal of mtvU is to provide college students with the opportunity to produce social change both locally and globally, such as promoting campaigns and informing students about causes, such as ending the crisis in Darfur.

Through the Ecomagination Challenge mtvU hopes to inspire tomorrow’s leaders to be conscious of the environment and to take action in protecting it.

“We have heard a lot from college students on their concerns about the environment and global warming,” said Stephen Friedman, general manager for mtvU. “We feel the answers are going to come from college students, and thus we decided to ask them for the best solutions.”

Jarret Salm, president of Greenpeace at UM, already has some ideas in mind, such as installing the first solar panel for electricity on campus.

“If we chose to participate in this challenge, a lot of it will depend on cooperation. We need to come together, as a community, to come up with ideas to achieve one goal: help our environment, including that of our university,” Salm said.

MtvU and GE will accept submissions through Dec.1. Friedman said he hopes that great applications will come from the University of Miami.

For more information, visit www.ecocollegechallenge.com, where interested student may register and includes ideas, suggestions and participation information.

Gabriela Campos can be contacted at g.campos1@umiami.edu

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...