Volleyball continues skid, loses two straight

Miami’s volleyball team dropped to 9-16 overall and 6-10 in Atlantic Coast Conference play following two tight losses to Georgia Tech and Clemson at the Knight Sports Complex last weekend.

The Hurricanes had multiple scoring runs but were unable to sustain those runs, losing three games by three points or less.

“Volleyball is a huge momentum game,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “You have to not put yourself in holes, so that you don’t need to change [momentum]so often.”

On Nov. 3, Miami took Georgia Tech to five games but lost the final game (18-16) and the match.

Miami controlled game one in a 30-18 win. Georgia Tech made 11 errors and the Hurricanes provided 15 kills on offense.

The Yellow Jackets used their .564 hitting percentage to help put 24 kills on Miami. Georgia Tech won the match 30-23.

The Yellow Jackets used the momentum and dominated game three 30-16.

Miami came back and edged out Georgia Tech in game four 32-30 following a strong .400 hitting percentage and 19 kills. The Hurricanes took an early 13-8 lead with the Yellow Jackets coming back in the second half. Sara Duncan, Jill Robinson and Frannie Savage provided the finals kills for the Hurricanes’ game four win.

Miami was able to jump out to an early 10-6 lead in game five. Georgia Tech was able to battle back and tie the game at 15-all and 16-all. The Yellow Jackets got back-to-back kills from Talisa Kellogg and Allie Niekamp to win.

Statistical leaders for Miami included Ciara Michel with 14 kills and Jill Robinson who contributed 44 assists.

The first two games against Clemson were split by Miami on Nov. 5. The Tigers took advantage by winning game one 30-18. The Hurricanes answered back with a 30-23 victory in game two.

Clemson took sizable leads in both games three and four. The Tigers took game three 30-27 and game four 30-28 to win the match.

“We’re fighting till the bitter end against every team we play,” Lantange Welch said. “Where we are playing is so close to everyone right now, it’s not going to take much. Just a little more execution and we can have a great finish to our season.”

Denis Brown may be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...