Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

The University of Miami began play in two tournaments, the ITA National Indoors and Palm Springs Invite.

In the ITA, Audra Cohen defeated Anna Lubinsky of Texas A&M (6-1, 6-2) to advance into second round. Cohen went on and defeated Georgia’s Natalie Frazier (6-4, 6-3). Cohen won her third match against Florida’s Diana Srebrovic (6-4, 6-2) and will move into the main draw finals, which will feature Cohen against Melanie Gloria of Fresno State.

In the singles “A” draw in Palm Springs, Laura Vallverdu and Romy Farah advanced to the quarterfinals. Vallverdu defeated Whitney McCray and Tracy Lin of Georgia Tech and UCLA respectively. Farah won two matches against Diane Matias of USC and UCLA’s Alex McGoodwin. Audrey Banada was eliminated in the first round.

Caren Seenauth is the only Hurricane still alive in the “B” singles division.

Farah and Banada advanced to the second round in doubles action out in Palm Springs after defeating Vanja Crevice and Marija Milic of Texas 8-5.

Seenauth and Vallverdu were eliminated from doubles competition following the first round.

Women’s Track

Athletic Director Paul Dee recently announced that Head Women’s Track and Field Coach Amy Deem signed a new three-year contract that will employ Deem at Miami through the 2009 season.

Deem is entering her 17th season at Miami. Her tenure has also seen at least one All-American in each of the last 14 seasons.

Miami swept the Atlantic Coast Conference Indoor and Outdoor titles for a second straight year. Deem earned ACC Coach of the Year honors.

The Hurricanes also finished fifth at the 2006 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...