Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

The University of Miami began play in two tournaments, the ITA National Indoors and Palm Springs Invite.

In the ITA, Audra Cohen defeated Anna Lubinsky of Texas A&M (6-1, 6-2) to advance into second round. Cohen went on and defeated Georgia’s Natalie Frazier (6-4, 6-3). Cohen won her third match against Florida’s Diana Srebrovic (6-4, 6-2) and will move into the main draw finals, which will feature Cohen against Melanie Gloria of Fresno State.

In the singles “A” draw in Palm Springs, Laura Vallverdu and Romy Farah advanced to the quarterfinals. Vallverdu defeated Whitney McCray and Tracy Lin of Georgia Tech and UCLA respectively. Farah won two matches against Diane Matias of USC and UCLA’s Alex McGoodwin. Audrey Banada was eliminated in the first round.

Caren Seenauth is the only Hurricane still alive in the “B” singles division.

Farah and Banada advanced to the second round in doubles action out in Palm Springs after defeating Vanja Crevice and Marija Milic of Texas 8-5.

Seenauth and Vallverdu were eliminated from doubles competition following the first round.

Women’s Track

Athletic Director Paul Dee recently announced that Head Women’s Track and Field Coach Amy Deem signed a new three-year contract that will employ Deem at Miami through the 2009 season.

Deem is entering her 17th season at Miami. Her tenure has also seen at least one All-American in each of the last 14 seasons.

Miami swept the Atlantic Coast Conference Indoor and Outdoor titles for a second straight year. Deem earned ACC Coach of the Year honors.

The Hurricanes also finished fifth at the 2006 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...