Senior killed in car crash

A tragic accident took the life of a University of Miami student early Thursday morning. Senior John Patrick Warnecke (called “Military John” and “Baby John” by his friends) died after his minivan hit a moving train at Bird Road and 72nd Avenue.

According to an article in The Miami Herald, at around 3:15 a.m. on Thursday, John came to a railroad crossing where a black Chrysler Pacifica was stopped, the gates were down and the lights were flashing as a train approached.

For reasons still unknown, John didn’t stop when he reached the intersection, clipping the Pacifica and hitting the moving train with his minivan. He was killed instantly.

A self-described “military brat,” John lived in Maryland, Virginia, California and Puerto Rico before coming to UM. His favorite place was Puerto Rico, and he often told stories about how his bedroom window looked out to the ocean, and how he could hear loud Coqu

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...