Senior killed in car crash

A tragic accident took the life of a University of Miami student early Thursday morning. Senior John Patrick Warnecke (called “Military John” and “Baby John” by his friends) died after his minivan hit a moving train at Bird Road and 72nd Avenue.

According to an article in The Miami Herald, at around 3:15 a.m. on Thursday, John came to a railroad crossing where a black Chrysler Pacifica was stopped, the gates were down and the lights were flashing as a train approached.

For reasons still unknown, John didn’t stop when he reached the intersection, clipping the Pacifica and hitting the moving train with his minivan. He was killed instantly.

A self-described “military brat,” John lived in Maryland, Virginia, California and Puerto Rico before coming to UM. His favorite place was Puerto Rico, and he often told stories about how his bedroom window looked out to the ocean, and how he could hear loud Coqu

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...