not clicking with anyone? step out of that comfort zone!

Dear V

I am in school here, and so far it’s great, although I am very far away from home. I enjoy my classes and my major, and I have met a ton of people, but I miss my old friends a lot, and I don’t think that I will be able to find anyone who compares to them. I have made a few friends, but I haven’t found anyone yet who I can see myself being real friends with. Also, I am kind of upset because all of my old friends seem to be making tons of new friends, and I just can’t seem to let go that easily.

Holding on to the Past

Dear Reader,

I am assuming from your letter that you are a freshman. For some people, making friends is really, really easy, but it’s not so easy for other people, for whatever reasons. For me, personally, I met my best friends from college during my freshman year, but, for a lot of people, it doesn’t work like that. I am of the opinion that you pick up good friends randomly throughout your travels, and, like most things in this life, you can’t really control the people with whom you will click the best; it just happens that you enjoy and will enjoy the company of some more than you will enjoy the company of others.

Perhaps, you ought to try stepping out of your comfort zone a little bit because I have a strong feeling that your apprehensions about really letting loose with these new friends is what is holding you back from having genuinely strong connections with these people. True, it will be difficult at first, but what else are you going to do? You will go crazy if you feel as if there is no one upon whom you can rely. Likewise, you must continue to go out and meet people – there is no harm in being friendly!

Best of Luck!

V.

Fact O’ the Day…Women prefer a man with a tight and muscular butt because it signals to her that he has the ability to make the strong, thrusting forward motion necessary for the act of sexual intercourse…

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...