FOOTBALL REPORT CARD: MIAMI VS VA TECH

Quarterbacks: D
Kyle Wright had two and Kirby Freeman had one-interceptions that is. Not a single touchdown between them. Wright’s longest throw was for 16 yards and he made poor decisions when forced to run. What happened to “Quarterback U”?

Running Backs: A
Tyrone Moss was the leading rusher with 103 net yards and the lone touchdown of the night. His breakout play demonstrated not only his speed, but his strength as he broke through several of VT’s defensive players for the breakout 50-yard run. Javarris James only had 20 yards on four carries before leaving the game with a minor injury.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: B-
Ryan Moore made his way back into the game but only managed 19 of the 84 passing yards. Greg Olsen recovered a fumble after a Freeman fake to Charlie Jones, which only briefly saved the offense. A few dropped passes and no touchdowns from this group.

Offensive Line: D-
Pathetic. The O-Line cannot seem to stave off predators ready to sack Wright and stop any attempt at an offensive gain. This group needs some serious work if there is any hope of winning a bowl game.

Defensive (Front Seven): A
Bottom line: the defense played like winners. It’s sad to see such an amazing defense be credited with a loss. Virginia Tech only had 139 offensive yards thanks to efforts from Darryl Sharpton, Tavares Gooden, Glenn Sharpe and company.

Secondary: A
The secondary continued to prevent VT from making big plays and pushed their running game back 46 yards. There isn’t much else you could ask of a defensive unit, except maybe a touchdown to carry the offense.

Special Teams: A-
Jon Peattie’s 55-yard field goal put Miami on the board and prevented what could’ve been an embarrassing shut-out at home. Brian Monroe kept every punt down the middle. Aside from Kenny Phillips’ accidental kick that forced the football into the endzone to give VT possession at the 20 yard line, the special teams were flawless.

Coaching: B-/C+
Calls were predictable for most of the night and the decision to keep Wright in over Freeman is questionable. I have to say, seeing Coker completely furious on the sidelines after that call reminiscent to the National Championship game in 2002 was refreshing. It’s good to finally see him get upset when things are going wrong. The coaches have to work on putting an end to sloppy play that results in penalties.

Compiled by Stacey Arnold

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...