BREAKING NEWS: Defensive lineman Bryan Pata shot and killed

11:30 PM TUESDAY – Earlier tonight, defensive end Bryan Pata was shot and killed at a Kendall Apartment complex in Miami, Fla.

Details of the shooting have not been released.

Pata was a senior from Miami who was majoring in criminology. In 2004, Pata became the starting left defensive end for the ‘Canes. He has since become a staple in the Miami defense.

The University of Miami Athletic Department issued a statement regarding the loss of Pata:

“Tonight the University of Miami tragically lost a member of our football family, Bryan Pata.

Bryan was a fine person and a great competitor. He will be forever missed by his coaches and teammates. We offer our thoughts and prayers to his family.

Our players are deeply saddened and are grieving. We ask that their privacy be respected in the coming days.

The University of Miami urges anybody with any information on the shooting to contact the Miami-Dade Police Department Homicide Bureau or Crimestoppers.”

The Hurricane will continue to follow this tragedy and will honor Pata with a tribute in Friday’s edition.

Stacey Arnold may be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...