BREAKING NEWS: Defensive lineman Bryan Pata shot and killed

11:30 PM TUESDAY – Earlier tonight, defensive end Bryan Pata was shot and killed at a Kendall Apartment complex in Miami, Fla.

Details of the shooting have not been released.

Pata was a senior from Miami who was majoring in criminology. In 2004, Pata became the starting left defensive end for the ‘Canes. He has since become a staple in the Miami defense.

The University of Miami Athletic Department issued a statement regarding the loss of Pata:

“Tonight the University of Miami tragically lost a member of our football family, Bryan Pata.

Bryan was a fine person and a great competitor. He will be forever missed by his coaches and teammates. We offer our thoughts and prayers to his family.

Our players are deeply saddened and are grieving. We ask that their privacy be respected in the coming days.

The University of Miami urges anybody with any information on the shooting to contact the Miami-Dade Police Department Homicide Bureau or Crimestoppers.”

The Hurricane will continue to follow this tragedy and will honor Pata with a tribute in Friday’s edition.

Stacey Arnold may be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...