BREAKING NEWS: Defensive lineman Bryan Pata shot and killed

11:30 PM TUESDAY – Earlier tonight, defensive end Bryan Pata was shot and killed at a Kendall Apartment complex in Miami, Fla.

Details of the shooting have not been released.

Pata was a senior from Miami who was majoring in criminology. In 2004, Pata became the starting left defensive end for the ‘Canes. He has since become a staple in the Miami defense.

The University of Miami Athletic Department issued a statement regarding the loss of Pata:

“Tonight the University of Miami tragically lost a member of our football family, Bryan Pata.

Bryan was a fine person and a great competitor. He will be forever missed by his coaches and teammates. We offer our thoughts and prayers to his family.

Our players are deeply saddened and are grieving. We ask that their privacy be respected in the coming days.

The University of Miami urges anybody with any information on the shooting to contact the Miami-Dade Police Department Homicide Bureau or Crimestoppers.”

The Hurricane will continue to follow this tragedy and will honor Pata with a tribute in Friday’s edition.

Stacey Arnold may be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

New and returning students share some of their expectations for the semester on the first day of cla ...

Nearly 100 University of Miami students participated in Orientation Outreach to assist the staff at ...

Take a look back on new student orientation and browse through a gallery of photos from various even ...

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

Jeff Thomas is eager to get back on the field for the Hurricanes. ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...