Women’s basketball ready to tip off

A winning record and playing the then No. 1 team in the country to a double overtime loss may make some coaches feel pretty comfortable about their work. But second year Head Coach Katie Meier and the Women’s Basketball team is hitting the court hard, seeking to exceed expectations.

After a 16-14 season in 2005, the team lost one of its biggest contributors, Tamara James. James graduated last year and was drafted by the Washington Mystics. She was the eighth pick in the first round.

Despite the loss, Meier is confident about where the team can go this season.

She leads her team into the 2006-07 season, which begins Nov. 10 against Georgia State, with five new players and six returning ‘Canes.

Senior guard Renee Taylor leads all returning ‘Canes with 15.6 points per game.

The captains for this year’s team, voted on by the players, are sophomore LaToya Cunningham and senior Amy Audibert. Meier made it a point that the leaders of this team were selected by the team itself. Meier believes strongly in the power of the team dynamic.

As the first contest creeps up, the team is working hard to refine their game.

“We’re crunching, because we’re working on a shorter schedule than usual,” Meier said.

The season starts earlier than last year, and Meier said that a lost week is sorely missed.

So how far can this team go? The ‘Canes went further last year than they were predicted to go, finishing sixth in the highly competitive Atlantic Coast Confernece, after being projected to finish eleventh.

And Meier feels they’re going to exceed any expectations again.

“The girls set the goals and I think they definitely want to be in the postseason, but they want the NCAA’s,” Meier said. “In order to reach that goal, we’re going to really be very consistent, and I think that would be the one worry about this team. How consistent are we going to be from Monday to Thursday?”

Consistency is not helped by the addition of five new players, but Meier believes the five additions will contribute greatly to the team.

“We played a scrimmage against an outside opponent and I was most pleased with the five new players,” Meier said. “I thought they were phenomenal.”

Meier is a firm believer in student support of the team and expects this season will not let fans down.

“Come watch us because it’s an exciting style,” she said. “I think you’re going to see some very competitive, high-level basketball in the [BankUnited Center] this year.”

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...