Relay for Life hopes to raise cancer awareness

Colleges and universities across the country spend a night of dodgeball, capture-the-flag, volleyball, music, food and fundraising for scientific research and cancer awareness each year on their respective campuses-but this is not the case on the Coral Gables campus of the University of Miami.

Relay for Life, sponsored by the American Cancer Society, is an overnight event where groups of people gather together to walk or run laps in the hope that one day the world will be rid of cancer.

Shivani Joshi, of the ACS, said that UM is the only university that sponsors the eventbut does not allow the event to take place on school grounds.

President Donna E. Shalala, who was out of town this week, said in an e-mail that UM receives about 20 requests from organizations, such as Relay for Life, to have annual events on campus, which may accumulate costs of up to $100,000 for police, cleaning and parking services. Because of these costs, Shalala said that the university cannot accommodate every organization, or choose between them.

Members of the Relay for Life Committee at UM feel that if the event took place on campus, the relay would receive an increase in corporate sponsorship and an increase in student participation.

“How much more convenient is it to walk from your dorm to the IM fields to walk for a few hours as opposed to finding a way to get to another location?” said Andrew Haines, co-chair of sponsorship for the Relay for Life Committee.

The committee will be tabling in the UC Breezeway next week in order to start raising awareness for the event and encourage students to show support for the event being held on campus.

“Other schools have great turnouts and great success because it’s more convenient,” said Matt Lee, the other co-chair for the Relay for Life Committee.

At another UM, the University of Montana, the Relay is the highest grossing college relay in that state.

hTony Brockman, the event chair at Montana, feels that it is important for the event to take place on campus

“I believe that the benefit of having the event on campus is raising awareness to students about cancer,” he said. “There is a cost for the event, but we take care of it through fundraising.

He estimated that all of their costs came to roughly $4,000.

In addition to the event being more costly on Miami’s campus, the university also has to adhere to Coral Gables ordinances about different community concerns, such as sound disturbances for an overnight event.

“I will tell you based on past experience and working with the American Cancer Society, for [the event]to happen on our campus I think there will need to be some compromise in the format,” said Richard Walker, director of the University Center and Student Life.

Last year, UM’s Relay for Life took place at South Miami High, and benefited from the participation of 600 UM students who raised $53,000. The Relay for Life Committee hopes to see the number of students who participate in UM’s Relay in March of 2007 to increase.

“I don’t want anyone coming to me saying they wish they knew [about the event],” said Tommy Falconer, event chair of Relay for Life at UM. “Let’s get the ball rolling now and show Shalala we want this on campus.”

This year’s Relay for Life will take place at the end of March, but the exact date has not been scheduled. For more information please go to the Relay for Life webpage on Facebook.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...